rMBP -- now, later, never?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marksubishi, Apr 24, 2013.

1. marksubishi macrumors newbie

Sorry in advance, for yet another, and seemingly redundant, rMBP advice thread.

Mind you, i HAVE read other threads and discussions, all of which yielded mixed views and thoughts. So, I decided to take a stab at this.

Like others, I am faced with deciding on which notebook I will be upgrading to -- I have used a late 2008 Macbook (Unibody) with 4GB of ram, at 2 GHz C2D. This notebook has honestly served me incredibly well over the years.

Anyway, I'm a student in my final year of my undergrad and though basic computing functions (word processor, browsing) are sufficient in my notebook, I do play my fair share of Starcraft II. Performance wise, I can get away playing at low settings across the board, but long games with multiple units does provide the "lower graphic setting" warnings. So I'm venturing the market to find a powerful notebook that will be convenient for travelling, as my unibody macbook was, as well has provides the needs necessary to play my games optimally. Having to be able to play is an absolute must. I also use lightroom sparingly for my photos, and the entire MS Office applications.

I looked to take most people's advice and shop Craigslist and Kijiji for cheaper prices: which I have found some options, which I will outline.

1. If I were to buy a rMBP from Apple, my educational discount would provide the following price point
    = $2,597.87 -- 15" rMBP, 2.7Ghz 16GB ram 256 SSD

2. Kijiji
    = $2,200 -- 15" rMBP, 2.6Ghz 8GB ram 512 SSD (no original receipt, but sealed)
    = <$1,800 -- 15" rMBP base model (sealed [reseller] // used)
    = $2,650 -- 15" rMBP 2.7Ghz 16GB ram 512 SSD (no original receipt, but sealed)

OR, like some have suggested, wait until Haswell chips etc etc.
    What would be enticing for me with having to wait that long, so to speak, is the back to school promo's they have at the Apple Store when buying a computer during that period (last year was a $100 iTunes gift card I believe).

Ideally I want to have my next notebook last me 4-5 years, much like my unibody macbook did. My issue with these isn't necessarily the pricing, but rather, the fact that some good offers do not have the receipts. Is that a BIG issue, if I were to say encounter a problem with it upon opening it? Also, I have encountered several models that were bought last year, with really great prices, but at base model specs -- how well is the used market for macbook pros, in terms of quality, lifespan, worth etc.

In any given case, I am sort of propelled to have 16GB of ram (though I've researched and many have pointed out that 8GB is sufficient), as well, the size of the SSD isn't that much of a factor (I have 160GB on the unibody, with 2 external drives). Though if any current users can shed more light on this for me.
    And, like many, saving any bit of money can and would go a long way (maybe a new iPod? or iPad mini?). I would like to pick one up soon, as I start my final semester in 2 weeks, and granted I am holding out on the Starcraft II expansion until I do, but like most people, upgrades and whatnot to the rMBP for 2013 could make a worthwhile wait.

Any advice would be great.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Doesn't sound like you are in a huge rush to buy a new computer. I, like you, want a new back to school deal/ new computers before I buy. I am waiting until September; that is when I will buy. I am expecting the new computers to be announced on June 10-14 at WWDC, but there have been delays in the production of the Intel chip (Haswell) which makes it seem more likely for an August/September release.

In any case, I would wait. When the new computers are announced, you have the option of:

• Buying the brand new thing for retail prices
    • Getting the old version for significantly lowered prices on Amazon, MacMall, Craigslist, etc. right after release.

It is a win-win if you can afford to wait. Since you already have a computer (the Unibody), it sounds like you can.

3. tmagman macrumors 6502

always max out the RAM in the rMBP. People will say that 8GB is fine, but with the deal you get with the educational discount, your only downside is the regret of not upgrading the ram in 3 years when 8GB is no longer cutting it.

4. leman macrumors 604

You don't need anything beyond the base CPU. As to 8Gb vs 16GB... 8GB will be enough, but the 16GB options is not too expensive and will give you that extra edge should you need it in the next few years.

5. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

wait till the new releases and then take advantage of the online deals by amazon and co.....

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I see you seem to be insterested in high-end CPU options, but honestly I don't think it's worth it. The difference between each rMBP CPU is minimal, especially considering you're coming from a 2008 MacBook with a fraction of that power.

I think investing in 16GB RAM is a lot more important, and if you still have spare cash, even 512GB of storage could be more useful than a high-end CPU.

If I were you, I'd look at 2.3GHz/2.4GHz models with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD, CAD $1999 from Apple with the student discount. Or find something similar on Kijiji if you're not afraid of buying a stolen laptop.

If you can wait untill June 10th (WWDC), perhaps there will also be a refresh (or maybe not). I think Haswell itself is overrated if you're going to use a discrete GPU, but the updated discrete GPU itself should be a worthwhile difference from the current model if you play some Starcraft 2.

I personally already max Starcraft 2 at 1920x1200 right now, but the framerate ranges from 50FPS in early game to 20FPS in those huge end of game battles. If you want to max the SC2 and can't stand anything under 30FPS, you could appreciate the new GPU. It could also possibly make SC2 playable at 2880x1800 on your internal screen if that's something that interests you.

7. marksubishi thread starter macrumors newbie

what are the specs of your mbp?