rMBP now, or wait till next release?

phospholipid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
49
0
I've been having troubles with my previous MBP, and apple are replacing it with the rMBP with 500gb ssd, i5 2.8ghz, 16gb ram. I'm thinking whether or not I should sell this, and wait for the new ones to come out and perhaps grab one of those? I don't NEED the pro right rihgt, but it'd be very helpful. If the specs for the next one will be significantly better then I can wai.t
 

enoC

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2009
401
4
Denmark
I doubt Apple release a new rMBP before june/july at WWDC. If I were you, i'd take the current rMBP and be very happy:)
 

steve23094

macrumors 68030
Apr 23, 2013
2,615
1,331
I would be pretty happy with a free upgrade it's not often people get that, normally it's just a repair job.
 

phospholipid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
49
0
Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy - It was a persistent problem which apple couldn't solve which got me the upgrade.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
63,851
30,365
Boston
We're all waiting for Broadwell to be release, and then apple can and will update their MBP line. Until that occurs we'll not see any updates imo
 

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
7,682
2,103
I would keep this one

I've been having troubles with my previous MBP, and apple are replacing it with the rMBP with 500gb ssd, i5 2.8ghz, 16gb ram. I'm thinking whether or not I should sell this, and wait for the new ones to come out and perhaps grab one of those? I don't NEED the pro right rihgt, but it'd be very helpful. If the specs for the next one will be significantly better then I can wai.t
To be honest the broadwell update for teh 13 inch is going to be very boring, a new slightky better processor...... Thats it...

Just keep and use the fantastic machine you have been given. Even if you decide to sell it to upgrade using it for a few months will make little difference to resale value from what I can seen on ebay...
 

vbedia

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2014
152
28
At this point in time I'd wait. We are just a few months away until Apple updates its rMBP.
 

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
7,398
6,965
I've been having troubles with my previous MBP, and apple are replacing it with the rMBP with 500gb ssd, i5 2.8ghz, 16gb ram. I'm thinking whether or not I should sell this, and wait for the new ones to come out and perhaps grab one of those? I don't NEED the pro right rihgt, but it'd be very helpful. If the specs for the next one will be significantly better then I can wai.t
How nice of them to replace it with a brand new rMBP. It should be a huge upgrade over your current MBP.

The update to Broadwell will bring some battery life improvements, Skylake will bring slightly better performance. Either way it won't be nearly as much of an upgrade as MBP to rMBP.

Chances are you'll be happy with the rMBP for some time to come and aren't going to need an upgrade.