rMBP nVidia card failure =( *update 24th Aug*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kurayami88, Aug 21, 2012.

1. kurayami88, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

kurayami88 macrumors newbie

UPDATE AS OF 24th Aug

pls help...
    my unit spent 2 days at my local service centre. they did their standard apple tests and all results returned green.
    THUS, they didn't do shyt to the unit. called me and gave me back the unit as is.
    when collecting the unit, i did the speaker cracking test (one of my complains) right in front of their faces, it was in the windows mode as the windows has the basic speaker test sound in the control panel. definite crack even obvious to the apple counter person.

however, the technician who did the test claims that all hardware testing proves to be valid and no errors are found. there is nothing more he will do to the unit.

my problem with the nvidia card still persist but benchmarking tools and live demo via games is "NOT CREDIBLE" in the face of apple as their hardware test results says OTHERWISE!

cinebench is the only live performance i can demonstrate as i don't have games in mac. but cinebench is not credible.
    3dmark11 results and gameplay performance is obvious prove something is wrong with the macbook, but again my problem with them so far is that it is not credible???

i am demanding a new unit, this problem kicked in on day 11th, didn't raise the issue to apple till day 13th, sent the unit in with no results, now it is day 16th. and "TECHNICALLY" i have no prove/basis on my new unit claims.

HELP me anyone?!

here are some logs i got from GPUObserver37 *windows widget* while playing prototype @ all max, 1920x1200 (alt-tabbing out and quickly logging the current GPU usage)... it was perfectly playable before this issue kicked in, now it lags like hell... but according to the log, the nvidia card is being push appropriately... any help? perhaps the voltage is lacking? reported voltage is @ ~0.8-0.9v all the time...

########## GPU Observer - Gadget Dump ##########
    -----------------------------------------------
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit
    RuntimeVersion: v2.0.50727
    ReaderBuild: x64
    ReaderValid: True
    ReaderVersion: 3.7.0.0
    ReaderDirectory: \GPUObserver37.gadget
    NVIDIA Driver: 8.17.12.9649
    NVAPI Available: True
    Internal Index: 0
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    Name: GeForce GT 650M
    GPU Clock: 900MHz
    MEM Clock: 2508MHz
    Shader Clock: 1800MHz
    GPU Temp: 59°C
    PCB Temp: 0°C
    GPU Usage: 0%
    MCU Usage: 0%
    VPU Usage: 0%
    FanLevel: -1%
    FanRPM: 0rpm
    PCIe: x8
    Mem Total: 1024MB
    Mem Free: 673MB
    ###############################################

GPU Clock: 446MHz
    MEM Clock: 2001MHz
    Shader Clock: 891MHz
    GPU Temp: 64°C
    GPU Usage: 6%
    MCU Usage: 1%
    Mem Free: 671MB
    GPU Clock: 900MHz
    MEM Clock: 2508MHz
    Shader Clock: 1800MHz
    GPU Temp: 63°C
    GPU Usage: 9%
    MCU Usage: 1%
    Mem Free: 698MB

original post
    just to inform you guyz about my incident...

---> retina base model with 16gb ram upgrade

i was happy to use the retina for about near 2 weeks (received 8 aug)... had bootcamp on it win7 ... updated to the beta drivers in laptopvideo2go.com

was extremely happy with the performance level... played borderlands and prototype... 1600x1200 res with everything else on max (even shadows)... no AA though... smooth gameplay except for lots of smoke/particles.

till 2 days ago, when i finished prototype... experienced major stuttering and slow response... thought it was a windows error... reinstalled nvidia drivers, directx, tried the default drivers... even eventually leading to a whole reformat of win7.

turns out, my nVidia card got busted.. it can still play HD vids and run windows Aero well... but for gameplay, it totally renders like crap... decided to benchmark it for fun... 3dmark11 ... score... 600++ only... hahahaha... (during the test phases, rendering only about 2 fps average... best was about 4fps... yes, it was THAT sad...)

in mac mode, running gfxstatus... using cinebench benchmark app, intel card scored 22-24fps in the test. discrete only stuttered and manage to pull through ~12fps ...

long story short... my nVidia card crashed badly... as far as i saw the clock rate on some report (i think it was 3dmark11) it was running a poor ~400mhz only... got the MSI afterburner (just to benchmark after the card broke down) reports of it at 200-300mhz ... increasing the clock rate in MSI afterburner = crash...

now, i NEVER overclocked the dam graphics card... and played in an air con room... bottom is elevated... heat shouldn't be an issue...

just sharing my experience... those not running intensive 3d apps, be wise to benchmark your nVidia in case your nVidia is faulty... just saying...

----------------------------

i've sent it to my local apple service provider... they file it under warranty and it is awaiting technical inspection. it's a 13 days old unit... i hope they don't repair it, instead give me back a whole new unit rather than trying to fix the dam thing =(

probably should have insisted on a new unit... *sigh*

**oh yea, wanted to say this ...
    ----> pains me to say that for once... the intel gfx beat the nvidia 650m~! for SHAME!!!! =P

oh yea... this retina was going to be my desktop replacement... and a full front working comp... gonna do my work + photo editing, watch movies... do everything on it... now it's gonna take another 3-5 days estimated... but feels like it's going to be a whole 1-2 weeks before i get a working retina back in my hands.... booo hooo =(

2. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

They will likely replace the motherboard...

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

****, I wouldn't accept any repair for a 13 days old Mac! Good luck and let us know :)

Did you buy it from an Apple Store or Apple Online Store?

4. kurayami88 thread starter macrumors newbie

apple online store... with malaysia as the country...

shipped from HK ...
    malaysia doesn't have an apple base, nearest is singapore down south (practically neighbours)
    but we do have local apple distributors and service centres

----------

won't replacing the M/B = probably a whole new unit already??? the retina is entirely integrated...

5. kurayami88 thread starter macrumors newbie

updated 24th aug... refer to 1st post for details

pls help me anyone... really pissed off with apple atm...

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Write to Apple APAC & US directly politely explaining your concerns, stick to issues under OS X and the facts it makes things simpler. I would remove the likes of gfxCardStatus as Apple are not very receptive to third-party apps that can effect their OS.

You need to show that the Nvidia GPU is defective under normal use, irrespective of the test result. I would also run the hardware test yourself.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you want to observe the temps under OS X try Bresink`s Temperature Monitor, it may help you if the issue is related to high temp

7. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

After reading hundreds of lines of your rant, I noted that you installed a beta driver from a non-official website on your Boot Camp Windows 7. AND, you even told Apple of this? This is not very smart.

Edit: Oh and you didn't even go to an official Apple Store (because it's not available in your country)...you know some unauthorised 3rd party repair shops will try every excuse to deny your service request.

8. kurayami88 thread starter macrumors newbie

i did not tell apple about the beta drivers... but re-installing the original drivers, as well as using the MacOS yields no difference as the card is faulty atm.

having a senior apple representative from AUS taking my case through the phone. currently following his steps to thoroughly re-install OSX via online boot-up, deleting the entire HD, and reinstalling via internet boot-up

he mentioned that a replacement unit couldn't not be given due to the circumstances that my local service provider is unable to detect the issue.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Be patient, polite and work with Apple`s customer services, they have processes they must adhere to, however stay firm that the computer is not functioning as it should. From their side they have to validate that a hardware issue does exist, once validated i would then push for a new machine by stating that you as the customer should not have to suffer due to the local service centre not being able to initially diagnose the hardware fault. that you reported in good time.

10. augustinesoh macrumors newbie

This may seem obvious, but did you perform a SMC reset followed by a PRAM/NVRAM reset?

I had the exact same problem with my MBPr. Cinebench score of 14.71 for the Nvidia GT 650M discrete graphics and 20+ (can't remember offhand what the exact score was) with the integrated Intel HD 4000 under MacOSX Mountain Lion.

3DMark 11 score was P679 under Windows 7 Professional. Games like Crysis 2, HL2 Lost Coast, etc. all played with frame rates well below what others had reported for the MacBook Pro Retina. My Windows Experience Index score for Aero and Gaming graphics was a measly 5.5 and 6.4 respectively. All other scores were as expected - CPU 7.6, Memory 7.7 and Disk 7.9.

Just spent 30-45 mins on the phone with Apple Support yesterday and after listening to my description of the problem, the guy walked me through the SMC reset procedure, immediately followed by PRAM/NVRAM reset. Et voila! Problem resolved!

Did a quick test while the Apple Tech was still on the line and HL2 Lost Coast Stress Test gave a MUCH improved frame rate of 206.49 fps, WEI Aero and Gaming scores were both 7.3 and all was right with my universe again.

11. cirus macrumors 6502a

I think you have a wrong video driver.

The Kepler GPU series do not use "hot clocks". Fermi (400 and 500 series run the chip at a certain frequency while the shaders run at twice that frequency) For example, the 540m has a core clock of 672 mhz and a shader clock of 1344 mhz.
    Kepler instead has more shaders that run at the same speed (no difference between shader and core clocks). Your info suggests different shader and core speeds and I suspect that you installed a driver meant for the the fermi series GPU's.

What is your driver number? You should be using the 304.xx drivers.

12. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

You should have called apple on day 13th and ask for a refund, apple has a 14 days no question asked return policy