rMBP NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idmac, Jul 9, 2013.

1. idmac macrumors newbie

hello, i'm going to college and studying about digital animation. one of my lecturer told me that my macbook white won't last long if it use for maya, 3d modeling, 3d rendering and other 3d stuff. so i want to change my macbook with MBP retina NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB, is that macbook capable of doing things i mentioned before? i haven't got the chance to ask my lecturer. thanks :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not familiar with the apps, but from what I do know the rMBP is quite up to the task of running just about all the software I throw at it.

I think the question you want to ask is this - Will the cMBP provide better performance then the rMBP given that it has to push less pixels.

3. idmac thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks mike. i think the question i want to ask is "is it ok to do 3d animation stuff with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB on rMBP 15" "

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is okay. It isn't the best there is but for a thin mobile notebook you won't get any better than that.
    I would wait for the update. In Pro Apps Kepler (6x0M GPUs) aren't all that great and it seems the next update will have Intel HD 5200 GPUs. You will have much better battery life with those. Performance will be about the same.

5. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

A forum thread about the Retina Macbook Pro (with GT 650M) from other digital/graphic artists

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=23&t=1095609&page=1&pp=15&highlight=retina+macbook+maya

A YouTube video comparing a 12 core Mac Pro with a Retina Macbook Pro (with GT 650M). They briefly tested Maya at 4:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2pm7Vk0tqM

A Google search gives you some other results. Try "Autodesk Maya on Retina Macbook Pro" or something similar. That's how I got the links above.

6. bill-p macrumors 65816

Kepler just falls behind in OpenCL because nVidia still hasn't gotten their softwares right.

Everything else the 650M leaves Intel HD 5200 in the dust. Especially when it comes to OpenGL/Direct3D performance at higher resolution, so in fact, Kepler (650M) would be the better solution for Maya than Iris Pro.

Also the 650M in the previous rMBP is overclocked to be even faster than the stock configuration, so it's quite a lot faster than Iris Pro.