rMBP: occasionally display is black on open from sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splitpea, Dec 9, 2013.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Usually my rMBP wakes from sleep just fine, but now and then the display is black (looks like it isn't even powered up) when I open it, even if I click the trackpad or press the spacebar. This happens even with the battery full and the power cable attached. When this happens, if I close it and open it again a couple more times it finally wakes properly on the third or fourth try.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any idea what might be wrong? It's a late 2012 13" model.

2. DannyDrama macrumors regular

I'll bite, no one else has and I had this with my early 2013 rMPB.

Try resetting your power settings to default. I'd changed mine and kept getting the black screen, this solved it for me.

Does the dock show up if you mouse over it? And the black 'goes away' if you double click and drag the desktop?

3. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, DannyDrama! I open my laptop to the lock screen (password prompt), so there's no dock. I haven't tried double-click-and-drag, but will next time I encounter this issue.

4. blooperz macrumors 6502

I had the same on problem a couple of days ago on my rMBP 15, when I opened the lid I thought it wasn't turning on, but at the right viewing angle I could see the content on the screen so I think the issue was the backlight wasn't turning on for whatever reason. It happened twice in the same day but hasn't recurred since so keeping my fingers crossed for now. Restarting the system seemed to fix it but still unsure as to what caused to it begin with.

5. DannyDrama macrumors regular

Ah, my issue was after I had entered the password, the desktop was black but things appeared as I clicked on them. It ended up being something to do with my screensaver/sleep settings.