rMBP Odd Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmanmx, Jul 17, 2012.

1. kmanmx macrumors 6502

Hello,

Had my rMBP for about 3 days now. First 2 days, battery life was exactley as expected. But last night I totally powered the MBP off, and since starting it this morning battery has been decreasing faster than I would expect.

For example, right now I am just browsing the web and download a 700Mb file from the net which will take 30minutes. I'm on 25% battery life, and it says I have 40 minutes left ? If you extrapolate this information, you can deduce at this rate of discharge a 100% full charge would last about 3.5 hours. That seems like half of what it should be ?

The apps I have open are Finder, App Store, Google, Chrome Canary and that is all - at least to my knowledge looking at the dock bar (It's my first time using OS X so I am not massively knowledgeable). My screen brightness is at 50%, key backlighting off, nothing plugged into USB, and no music playing.

Any ideas ?

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

Constant downloading via wifi will of course drain the battery.

3. kmanmx thread starter macrumors 6502

I know WiFi downloading has some effect, but could it really be the cause of halfing the normal 6 or 7 hour browsing life time ? Its only downloading at 300KB/s.

I also notice sometimes the rear of the rMBP can get very hot when browsing, it will then cool down.. heat back up etc. I am assuming this is from the discrete graphics chip being turned on and off - as cpu usage is pretty much constant. If so, it seems to turn on unnecessarily sometimes, and can't help towards battery life.

4. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

My first question would be did you install Samsung kies software? If so, culprit found.

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Keep in mind that the estimated time remaining is just that...an estimate. It's a snapshot based on exactly what you're doing with the computer at that time. Once it stops downloading, do you see the estimated time remaining jump back up again?

7. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I downloaded gfxcardstatus.. Forces my computer to use the integrated graphic card when running on battery.. Greatly improved battery life on my machine.. Well made it more consistent

8. kmanmx thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. The download finished and estimated time increased by 20%, forcing integrated GPU helped too,