rMBP on standby in a leather case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomtakesphotos, Aug 16, 2013.

1. tomtakesphotos macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

my 13" rMBP is my first mac so I'm not really sure about this topic. I bought a nice leather sleeve case for it and I usually store it in the sleeve when I'm not using it.

However, I've not been turning off the laptop, just closing the lid.

When it's sleeping, does it still need to have room to breathe? Is it bad to keep it in the sleeve when it doesn't necessarily need to be in it?

Cheers

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The rMBP goes into powernap where it wakes up on occasion to see if there's any new messages or notifications. Anyways when I travel I do not put my rMBP to sleep but rather shut down. The risk of it waking up accidentally is a bit too high for me. I'd rather know its completely off. The power up time for MBPs isn't so great that I'm saving a ton of time by keeping it in sleep.

3. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

It doesn't get hot when you close the lid.

When a Macbook is in sleep-mode, everything is off. Only using a little power to keep current through the system (so the RAM isn't reset).

With powernap, it doesn't get hot either during backups or updates. So you're completely safe having it in your leather sleeve!

4. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

The thing isn't completely off when in sleep? That's incredibly inconvenient. When I close the lid of my laptop and put it in my backpack, I'd expect it to not incidentally come on while it's locked up in my backpack. Tell me there's a way to change that setting

5. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

It is off. Read my post. It just keeps current to keep the data in RAM allocated (this is what makes "standby". If it was powered off, all data in RAM would be gone). :)

6. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Well I quoted the other post for a reason. The way he described it makes it seem like it turns on, which I would consider waking the processor. If that happens, then I stand by my point. The reason being, if it's being jostled around in my backpack, I don't want it to turn on, ever.

Although I'm sure it just stores your current data in RAM like my computer does, while in sleep. No processor power

7. robvas macrumors 68020

Power Nap doesn't do backups or updates unless you're plugged into the wall:

8. lianlua, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

lianlua macrumors 6502

It does more than that, even on computers that aren't PowerNap-compatible.
    Of course it's not completely off while asleep. Then it'd be no different from actually being turned off (and even then, it's not completely off, because the battery controller remains active and there are certain electronics that retain power "listening" for the power button activation). The only time a Mac notebook is ever completely off is when it is unplugged and the battery is totally empty.

There's nothing to worry about with PowerNap. No moving parts are involved and it never does anything computationally meaningful, so it doesn't generate any meaningful heat. It wakes from sleep into a ultra-low power mode for a few seconds once an hour. Even battery drain is basically zero compared to normal sleep losses. It should be turned off by default on battery power, but you can control the setting in System Preferences if you really want it off.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I feel comfortable turning it off when I put it in the sleeve you might never know how long you plan to keep it in the sleeve for long time. :apple:

10. case2001 macrumors 6502

I had the same concern with Power Nap as well. I only released Power Nap turning on while in my sleeve by looking back at my temperatures over previous 24hours and saw a spike. Looking at Apple's information about Power Nap, it will place the machine back in sleep mode if the battery power is low or if a certain temperature is reached. So you should not have to worry about it as stated in the above reply.

However, if you search the board about waking from Power Nap or "hot while lid closed" you will see some issues. I believe there are some issues about the machine waking to maintain network connection.

You can change these settings.

My habit now is to only sleep my machine while on my desk. If she goes into the sleeve, I power down.

:)

Have a great day..

11. syd430 Guest

A lot of paranoia in this thread. It is completely safe to have your macbook in any sleeve you want. Do you really think they're not tested for this? All these people shutting down their computer after every use are just inconveniencing themselves. Reminds me of a thread I saw a few months ago where a lot of people were shutting down their ipad's after every use (a truly wtf moment for me).

Windows laptops, where the software/hardware integration just isn't there, is another story though. I've had many of my Windows laptops over the years switch on unexpectedly in a case due to whatever dodgy background process. Even then, my house/car/backback didn't burn down and the laptop wasn't damaged. I doubt there would be many cases where it could actually start a fire as the system would simply shutdown if the temp reached dangerous levels.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've had my Mac switch on while in the case as well, so while I may be paranoid, its because I've had to deal with a Mac cooking inside a case. While its rare (even for windows machines) its not a chance I'm willing to take.

I also think the risk of having the machine on vs asleep is higher now because Apple doesn't have that glowing light to indicate its actually asleep. If for what ever reason is on, there's little visual evidence.