rMBP on Windows?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LC155, Oct 22, 2013.

1. LC155 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I currently run Win 7 on a desktop (Don't really like 8) and have been eyeing up the Haswell rMBP for a while now. Well, now that they're out, and the cMBP is gone, I'm going to have to come to terms with something - does Windows actually look any good on a retina resolution?

I would primarily like to run windows 7, but I heard 8.1 actually supports retina like resolutions now, but has anyone compared the two? This is the only thing stopping me from making a direct purchase, as I know I'll be using windows most of the time I am using the machine.

Auxiliary question: If I get the 15" with the dGPU, will windows use that over the integrated one all the time? (which I presume would mean less battery)

Thanks

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Imo you could get Windows 7 to appear reasonably on a rMBP with some fiddling. It does look better with Windows 8.1 though as standard.

3. LC155 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, sounds good.

Anyone know about the other question?

4. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

Not positive on your second question, but Im pretty sure I read somewhere windows will use the discrete graphics.

5. LC155 thread starter macrumors newbie

That'll probably kill those battery life savings, then.

Perhaps I'd be better off without it then. I have a fully kitted out gaming PC, so I wouldn't be playing nay intensive games on it anyway. :p

6. LC155 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey again,

I read up some more on parallels, and it seems that it offers all the benefits of bootcamp (with only a slight performance hit), but since it is just a VM of Windows in the mac OS, you keep the GPU switching, and battery life is better.

Is the only caveat of parallels compared to bootcamp the slight performance hit? Because if so, that'll be the route I'll go for sure - means I get the dGPU for better resale value later, without it always being on in windows and killing my battery.

7. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

I am new to Mac and haven't even gotten mine yet, so take this with a grain of salt....

As far as I know the only performance hit is it will use more ram. I have been trying to research this stuff over the last week, but I don't have a solid answer for you.

8. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

You'll never get full native performance, it depends what you need to do and how demanding the application is. If it is just Office fine, if it is gaming then no unless you don't mind a real loss of performance (which is fatal with this spec).

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your running 2 OS'es at once, so yeah there's a performance hit.

If you intend to use graphically intensive apps, Parallels and VMWare virtualize a rather crappy GPU, and that's likely where you'll see the most impact.

10. LC155 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I figured.

Although apparently it still uses less battery life than running windows natively, so that's kinda funny. :p

I don't think I'll ever be taxing the GPU massively - the most I'd probably play on the VM is something like Terraria or some other low power game.