rMBP or Air with a Canon 1DX

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skysailing, Aug 26, 2012.

1. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

Recently received a Canon 1DX and fell in love. Question, do you think that buying a Retina MacBook Pro would be better for the camera or would it do just fine with a MacBook Air?

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

What on Earth do you mean "better for the camera"? If you want to view your images in twice the resolution, then buy the retina MBP. That's all there is to it.

3. sno1man macrumors regular

Screen may be a secondary consideration.

The 1DX and Nikons D4 produce huge files (especially in RAW). The retina macbook pros higher RAM and processor capabilities would make the files easier/faster to deal with in things like Photoshop

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

rMBP has far more power and would be able to process RAWs faster.

5. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

[​IMG]

----------

You see I had no idea about any of that. Thanks for the replies.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol nice picture. That made me lolz

7. gbit macrumors member

if you have the money buy rmbp if not buy air
    rmpb would be better but more expensive

8. skysailing thread starter macrumors regular

skysailing

Will do. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a complete waste of money if the difference is just resolution.

9. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Yeah other than resolution your getting a jump in power.

10. plucky duck macrumors 6502

If it's for work and you're mobile, RMBP. If it's stationary then neither I'd consider a 27" iMac. Air won't have enough resolution for you to fully appreciate and work with your photos imo.

11. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Rmbp with at least 512. 8 gb ram is fine for me.

12. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I am surprise a person buying a 1DX (pro DSLR) but not knowing his needs. Have you own any DSLR before? Do you know what RAW files are?

If you are just a beginner then get something cheaper and use those money to get some good lenes.

13. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

I think storage space will be the biggest issue if you are going to be shooting RAW files. Make sure you have some kind of secondary storage.

My MBP with 2.0GHz I7 does fine with 15 megapixel RAW files.

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Assuming you are new to photography: instead of more storage cull ruthlessly

15. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Lmao funny comeback image

16. Chedd macrumors member

Fellow photographer here, I shoot with a 5D3 (22mp/33mb raw files) and am working on a mid 2009 15" MBP. For comparison the 1Dx is 18mp. As a working photographer my number one priority is processing speed, not screen resolution. When you're editing 1000+ photos from one shoot it's ridiculous to assume that I'd be more concerned with my already adequate screen resolution than with sorting through and editing hundreds of files. Now, would I myself get the rMBP? Yes I would, but for the faster speed of the i7 processor over the MBA's i7. One thing that bothers me about the rMBP is that the resolution, if I am not mistaken, is actually double the virtual pixels, so it's actually an exaggerated representation. Which could be troublesome when working on prints. Also, it really bothers me when people—who obviously aren't photographers—say to get the rMBP because you will appreciate your photos more on the better screen. Personally, I appreciate my work a whole lot more in real life and on print; no screen can make me feel as much pride as seeing one of my own photos hung on a wall for others to enjoy.

Also, to those suggesting that someone with a top of the line camera should know what his needs are, get over it :cool:

17. RealEyes macrumors regular

rMBP is super fast. The screen is a bonus. The SSD, i7 and even the RAM (1600Mhz) are what will make it pull ahead. Get the configuration in my sig or better. You won't regret it.

18. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Chedd. The representation is spot on due to the way they double it. My 5d2 images process very quickly.

19. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

My MBA copes with 7D RAW files, but for 1DX stuff I'd be wanting an rMBP, with lots of RAM.

20. h00ligan macrumors 68030

The ram isn't that much of an issue for photography persay. 8
    Is still fine. Digital artistry is another story. I can open Lightroom and countless raw files and still not page out. But if I had to make them billboard size or some such it's a different story. For most print applications 8 is still just fine. Though obviously more is future proofing.

21. Chedd macrumors member

Could you explain more? I didn't mean to make it sound like I knew anything about it, in fact the reason it bothers me is cause it remains a mystery to me. Perhaps the OP could find this info useful also.

See This

22. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I got a maxed out unit to last for at least 3 years during Apple Care. The maxed out SSD leaves we at least 600GB for photo storage during field trips. My main storage of photos, music, document...etc is on an external thunderbolt RAID 1 set. The complete file system is backed up to a 3TB Time Capsule.

My rMBP does a great job running LR and PS to handle the raw files from my 5DIII. I doubt the raw files from 1DX would create any greater load as the files will be smaller. The Retina display makes field editing very nice. But if/when Apple releases a Retina Thunderbolt display, I will want one. A large Retina screen on the desktop will be better than a small Retina screen on the desktop for serious editing.