rMBP or cMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Qabas, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Qabas macrumors newbie

heyo

which do you guys recommend..?

15-inch: 2.6 GHz

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2
    In Stock
    Free Shipping
    $2,199.00

OR:

15-inch: 2.3 GHz Retina display
    2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB flash storage1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2
    Ships: 1-2 weeks
    Free Shipping
    $2,199.00

2. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

All depends on what your looking for. Retina has a great display but no upgradability. What you buy is what you are stuck with till you get your next computer. CMBP's screen isnt as nice, but still nice (its what I have) and you can upgrade your ram and HD later if you feel the urge/need.

3. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

It really depend on your personal choice. Go down to Apple Store , Best Buy or any retailer that carry both product and see for yourself.

But for my personal opinion I go with cMBP and I just did... I order one last Sat. But I option to Hi Res screen just add $100. I love the the processor and the GPU but I stay away from REV A Apple products. Which I learn it the hardway. My Late 2008 which is a Rev A got a flicker problem like christmas light. After 2 logic board and LCD replacement they just recently release a firmware update to fix the problem. My Rev A macbook air that thing is hot as a oven. My ReV A iphone overprice 2g no apps included. And so on and so on.

4. Qabas thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the cMBP 13"<<<<2010

u can't upgrade it?
    8 GB RAM sounds enough, since the only reason i'll be using the mac for is anything but video/photo editing..??
    plus, I mostly use an external hard drive, internal-750 GB sounds good too :s

5. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

The rMBP has RAM soldered to the motherboard due to space constraints, so no, you can't upgrade it.

Based on everything you said, if you can afford the retina, I'd go for it.

6. Qabas thread starter macrumors newbie

problem is, they're for the same price online -.-
    however, i'd like to game a little ^.^
    is the rMBP good for gaming?

7. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

Just as good, as the normal, except for screen resolution, which really doesn't apply to most games for the time being.

8. Qabas thread starter macrumors newbie

they're both for the same price and I don't think money is a problem when it comes to getting a mac hehe coz i'm loving it :)

will I be needing more than 8 GB of RAM!!?

9. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

If u want, especially for gaming. Oh, and if your not an idiot ;) Then u can do the ram change by yourself, get apple ram on amazon for like $80 for 16gb, I'm 13 and I did it well enough.

10. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

If you search the internet since I don't have Retina they said that gaming is fine some said you have to set it up to its medium settings to get decent fps...it depends on what game are you into. Then imagine using the same GPU and CPU on cMBP with less pixel and less resolution it should be walk in the park.

11. Qabas thread starter macrumors newbie

well, not HEAVY gaming..
    I don't play games often xD, only when i'm bored.
    if you're buying a new computer this year, wouldn't you just take the rMBP? coz it's the latest.

12. Drask macrumors regular

rMBP is actually clocked higher than the 660m.

13. Qabas thread starter macrumors newbie

so they're both as good..
    I simply want a computer for normal usage(internet surfing etc..) plus a little gaming. no video/photo editing whatsoever.

14. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Probably not. Heavy gaming, photo, and video editing would benefit. Something to consider is how long you plan on keeping the computer. Do you think you would get into stuff like that before selling the computer?

Except we're talking about the Retina MacBook Pro, where you CANNOT upgrade the RAM.

15. Drask macrumors regular

He wouldn't benefit upgrading to 16GB for heavy gaming, what are you talking about?

16. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

They are both as good the cMBP got a edge on CPU if you are looking around $2,199 price range. But you wont even notice, specially the Retina got an edge on its Flash drive which feel everything responsive. If you dont have the UI Lag cause by its mid level GPU trying to power up massive pixels.

17. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

In the vast majority of cases, correct. 8GB is the current sweet spot for gaming. Anything beyond that shows zero to marginal benefit. But who knows in 2-4 years... and there are a handful of memory hog games (GTA IV) that love RAM.

18. mackid1993 macrumors member

Considering that you are interested in gaming, I would lean toward the cMBP due to the lower screen resolution, which would provide less temptation to run the game at a high resolution, thus effecting performance.

Additionally, for a long term investment (5+ years) I would suggest the cMBP as it has been in service much longer-- it is tested and reliable.

However, that screen is gorgeous-- and I'm not sure if these reasons, plus an extra 300 mHz is worth that beauty. Ultimately, it is for you to decide-- however for me, my computer is my hub. It is the center of my life. Thus, it must be reliable, upgradable, and affordable. That's why I chose the 2012 cMBP.

19. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Unless you absolutely need an optical drive, I'd go retina. This display is simply amazing.

For gaming - would you use an external display? If so, there's no reason not to get the Retina. But if you plan on using the internal display... well keep in mind that 2880 is very tough for even the highest end desktop cards to power

20. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Well, if you listen to some users of this forum there are massive issues with the rMBP: image burn in, UI lag, blurry text, kernel panics, bootcamp problems, defective video cards, badly assembled panels, dead pixels, ghosting, hallucogenic glue, micropores in the aluminum... You name it and the rMBP has got it. This is the whiners group.

For another opposing group, the rMBP goes way beyond computing. It represents a spiritual nirvana which only the 'inititated' can truly appreciate and understand. Even if you have a lowly position in society, the mere fact of owning an rMBP will gift you with god-like powers. Thus, the machine can only be perfect. Any flaws that are reported to this group are immediately brushed aside and considered to be offensive. This the lovers group.

A third group recognizes that the rMBP is just a tool with its strengths and weaknesses. Members of this group accept the fact that the rMBP has some defects, but that these shouldn't be blown out of proportions. It's not because a given key is 0.0008 inches higher than the others on the keyboard that you need to return the machine. This is the neutral group.

Both the lovers and the whiners are exhibiting a form of obsessive-compulsive behavior. This stems from the fact that the rMBP isn't a "perfect" machine but both groups desperately want it to be. In their minds, it has to be the machine to end all other machines or a spiritual rebirth of OSX that's worthy of the year 2012. The fact that IOS is largely outselling OSX could be a contributing factor to this mass hysteria. It has dwelled upon some that Apple may one day pull the plug on OSX altogether and replace it with something much simpler. To counter IOS there's nothing better than an OSX supercomputer for the masses that's affordable and has mystic qualities.

You seem like a nice fellow and it would be ashame if you were to lose your mind. Therefore, if you believe that you might belong to one of the two affected groups, I recommend that you stay away from the rMBP and purchase a cMBP. If you belong to the third group, just go ahead and buy the retina.

Of course, you should take my post with a grain of salt... :D

21. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

+1

Nice description :D

22. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I have both Late 2011 15" 2.4 i7 MBP and Base 2.3 Retina; i find the Retina to be the better machine by a fair margin, it`s not perfect then no system truly is. App`s are starting to update, so as long you dont have an immediate specific educational or work related requirement this presents little issue. The Next-Gen MacBook Pro is literally that only it`s here now, display is superb, sound is better than any other Mac notebook, the Retina`s are smooth and fast on Mountain Lion and the portability is up on the standard Unibody. The Retina wont fill everyones need, but for those that it does tick all the boxes, it`s an extremely compelling machine with little or no competition.

For RAM people just need to look at their specific need and choose accordingly, yet I see post after post advocating 16GB for the Retina MBP with no real substance. The average user likely does not need 16Gb and they will never reclaim the additional cost. People need to be informed how OS X uses RAM, if 16GB was a necessity it would be a standard feature, especially for the Retina as Apple has to see the technology take off smoothly. Many are utilising systems with 4Gb with little or no issue, so why would they suddenly need to jump to 16Gb? This is exactly why it`s a BTO option...

Understanding the Activity Monitor's System Memory tab

----------

+2 very apt :p

23. Slivortal macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

24. helloworld9 macrumors newbie

25. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Most answers here discuss the hardware and the retina screen versus the normal screen. I´d just like to ad that the rMBP represents the latest design, and it´s worth a comment. For me, the machine has a sublime feel to it. It´s built and designed really well, much more thoughtful I ´d say. I´s of course lighter and slimmer, but there are several smaller things as well:
    - The keyboard feels better and backlights are not bleeding.
    - The "cut in" where you open the lid is redesigned with a slightly tilted angle, and feel really nice when you are using the glass track pad.
    - The lid is incredibly firm, fells much, much better than the previous gens.
    - Speakers are much better.
    For my part there´s no doubt whatsoever .... )