RMBP or imac 2012

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ali5289, Dec 2, 2012.

1. ali5289 macrumors newbie

2. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

To state the obvious - It depends on what you'll do with the machine and most importantly, if you'll need to be mobile.

I'm getting both; the Macbook for work and the iMac for home.

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Completely different beasts for completely different things. It all depends on what you use them for.

4. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I have been trying to decide this as well. I've always had a powerful desktop but I don't know if I need it. I usually just gamed with it but I have stopped and highly doubt I will start again. I really like the rmbp but always felt that laptops were underpowered and if you stressed them they sounded like a jet engine.

I have preordered my 27in and was thinking I would get a MBA next summer before I attend graduate school to take to class.

I also have an iPhone .. iPad. I am just not sure if I need a desktop. But it would be stupid to have the Mbp on my desk plugged in all the time.

I really can't decide.

5. ali5289 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I know they're two different things. I currently have a 2008 MBP. However, I like the ssd and retina of the RMBP but I like the powerhouse of the imac 2012. I'm disappointed the imac doesn't have a higher res than previous gen. I have also heard that the RMBP is slow because of it's high res screen. I plan to run boot camp and other high statistical software. Appreciate the replies.

6. Haiku214 macrumors member

I've been using the rmbp for 6 months now and everytime I see a 27" 2560x1440 display, it just suddenly feels underwhelming. I can visibly see the pixels and jagged edges of the dock icons. The retina display has really pampered me.

7. ali5289 thread starter macrumors newbie

would you say its worth the money then, Haiku214? Or should I wait for the price to come down?

8. mabaty macrumors member

It was worth the money, I own a 27" IPS display and the retina screen makes it look bad (not unusable bad, but more like looking at a 1080 monitor when compared). It's faster than my 6-core workstation, and thats with the 2.3 i7. I sold my iPad 3 after owning the rMBP for 2 months because i stopped using it.

After I've owned my rMBP for 3.5 months I still get excited about booting it up.

9. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

This is making my decision even harder lol

Does it get really loud under load?

Faster than your 6 core Mac Pro?

10. ihatephish macrumors regular

We just got a 15'' MBPr several weeks ago and are really thinking about exchanging it for a 21.5'' imac. Going to go check them out tonight or tomorrow morning to make sure i won't be underwhelmed by not having a retina display.

We have no need for a laptop as we both have iPads, just not sure i can look at a non retina display.

11. sostoobad macrumors regular

This brings up an interesting set of choices...one that I recently made. Not between these two but may in the near future. The 13" rMBP is 1699.00
    the 15 " is 2199.00. To me the whole idea of a "laptop" is performance yes, but portability is key. a 15" "laptop" is kind of an oxymoron a fine machine for sure, but is it very portable ??? not to me.

Now lets look at what else you can buy for about the same do re mi.
    I just picked a NEW 2011 11" for 699.00 it is great, small. super portable and fits perfectly, limited yes, but thats ok, now I and anybody here can buy a 2011
    I Mac 21.5" for 979.00 apple refurb, 1 yr warranty too, free ship....SO....
    for LESS $$ than one 13"rMPB one can get 2 very capable computers, one for heavier stuff at home, one to cruise on the couch or go on the fly.

Or for a small amount more, still the 2011 11" Air and the NEW I mac, again 2 great machines. That gets my money every time, yes not really the latest and greatest, although the 2nd option does get you that, but I think a whole lot better value. Hey the retina is nice, but it will come down in price....quickly....remember the 2008 Air.....1799.00 and they sell for what now....when you are 1st on the block, you pay, and thats ok, just not for me.
    I'll wait...and it won't take long.

12. mabaty macrumors member

6-Core Windows desktop

I've encoded small (1GB) .mp4's and the fan barely ramped up, it never makes noise unless I'm encoding, watching video's etc...

13. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

14. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I just can't decide

I don't think I need a desktop anymore cuz mainly what I would use them for was gaming

But now I'm think I will keep the iMac and then buy a laptop before i start grad school

Kind of wish I got the 768 ssd instead of 3tb fusion

15. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

You did fine. 768 SSD on an iMac is way over priced. It's only necessary if you do intense video editing; however, if you were then you should be using an external Thunderbolt setup with backup anyway.

If you're doing grad school, consider a MBA 13". I had one of those and its wonderful.