rMBP or iMac 27" I need opinions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 6Fifty, Apr 3, 2013.

1. 6Fifty macrumors newbie

OK first I want to say hi because I am new. I am switching from a custom-built PC to my first Mac OS computer. I currently do not have a laptop and am going to be purchasing a single computer at a time. I am between the 15" rMBP and the 27" iMac for these reasons:

1. I am starting a new business so I will be doing some design-work, YouTube video's and my first web page.

2. I would like to take my work with me while I am at my "Paying" job so portability is a plus.

3. I am not sure that the 15" screen will get annoying when designing a web page, logo etc.

If anyone has a suggestion I would totally appreciate it.

2. Trubbles macrumors regular

The obvious problem with the 27" iMac is the lack of portability, which you said is important to you.

I have read numerous designers swear by the retina display on this board, and others scoff at issues they encountered with the resolution not matching their target market's screens. Of course, you can always attach a good ol' monitor to the 15" rMBP so you can have the best of both worlds.

Personally, I'm all for the 15" rMBP, but I own one and I'm in love with it, so I'm biased :)

3. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

The new job wont supply you a comp? Dont want you to waste money if they are.

4. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Personally I would've went with the iMac. But for your case, since you mentioned portability is a plus, I would say go with the rMBP, and like Trubbles said, you can always get a monitor and use it with the laptop.

5. kittencounter macrumors member

I do a lot of stuffs with weblayout and small graphics for Android apps. All I can say is the retina screen is very beautiful if you edit photos...for small graphics ..especially small bright transparent PNGs it could get very annoying. I do find on desktop iMac at work it's much easier since i can see the pixels easier :)eek:). Since you also need a mouse for precision works on small graphics iMac > better.

But you mentioned you need portability => I don't think you don't have a choice here. Or..do you unplug your iMac and drive it to work everyday? :D

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

You basically answered your own question. It really comes down to this:

Portability vs. non-portability.

The iMac is the superior machine in every aspect (screen, CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.). It will definitely offer better performance.

However, for web design, the rMBP will still handle it greatly, also. The iMac is more of a serious machine for professional users that *need* power and screen real estate. Do keep in mind that the iMac will offer more screen real estate which would come in handy. That being said, both will handle your needs. Portability vs. non-portability.

7. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

if you can't chose between those two.. well..

Portablity or not?

iMac you'll get more bang for the buck + a larger monitor + more GPU power and storage

MBPR will be portable and perfectly viable for almost everything.. and you can always add an external display if you want larger screen.

but seriously.. people asking if they should get a MacBook or an iMac seriously need to think about how they want to use a computer.. if you're a traveling video editer, a macbook is the way to go.. if you're in your basement editing Reindeer photoshops for a local Zoo, then iMac is probably the way to go.

8. karpich1 macrumors regular

It's the same ol' question :) It's a tough call. Faster desktop, or adequate laptop.

Personally, I'm of the opinion of... if you have the money then get both. Just get a mid-range for both and you'll only be spending about 1,500 more than if you got a maxed out iMac. But then you often wind up with a machine that hardly ever gets used.

But since apparently you need MOBILE for WORK and unless desk-space and aesthetics are important to you... then a MacBook Pro and such might work out the best. Perhaps get the wireless keyboard + mouse and a solid monitor and use it in clamshell mode when not carrying it around.

If you just wanted MOBILE for BROWSING then I'd say iMac + iPad. It's amazing how much the iPad has supplanted my PC for most of my browsing needs.

Retina IS nice, but I'd rather have a larger screen for long stretches of work even if the rez / dpi is lower. A larger object is easier on the eyes than a much smaller (but sharper) object.

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I have both although my imac is a late 09 27", i was going to trade my imac on a new one but went the 15" MBPr. What swayed me was the text quality on the retina and i can move it around the house. Its painful looking at my imac now and from seeing the new ones they are not much better for text anyway. I will get another mac when this one dies but probably a 21" and hopefully Retina down the track.
    Plus after owning iPads, iPhones this is my first Apple laptop and i could retire my 7 year old pc laptop which at the time cost me more than this one, what a dog it is now.

10. 6Fifty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks people. I will probably end up getting both but for now, MacBook Pro :)

11. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

yea go with the mbpr, especially if portability is a must...i mean cmon why even put that in the criteria?

12. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Another consideration would be the rMBP combined with an external display. At home I use a 23" ACD with my MBP which is great. On the road, the 15" screen is acceptable for the portability.