rMBP or MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wudavid, Jun 30, 2013.

1. wudavid macrumors newbie

Any advice out there?
    Thinking of getting a new computer in the July timeframe:

Usage: schoolwork, web browsing (email, a lot of YouTube and other flash content), music, word processing (MS Word, Pages, Keynote), Minecraft. I don't think I'm a heavy user, but I use the computer constantly (8+ hours a day), so a computer that can keep up for a long time every day is also key.

1. 13" MacBook Pro with retina display
    (Stock configuration)
    2.6 GHz i5 (Ivy Bridge)
    8GB RAM
    256 SSD
    Intel HD 4000

*the fact that it's still Ivy bridge with HD 4000 doesn't bother me, I played around with my dads rMBP and it's powerful enough for my usage and the graphics are completely adequate (60+ FPS) for Minecraft.

*I'm aware of possible Haswell MBP updates, but I can't buy a computer after July, so being able to wait for Haswell rMBPs will probably be out of the question.

Why I like rMBP:
    Killer display
    Combination of power and portability

2. 13" MacBook Air
    (BTO)
    1.7 GHz i7 (Haswell)
    8GB RAM
    256 SSD
    Intel HD 5000

Why I like MBA:
    Amazing battery life
    Portability

*I will be taking the computer to and from school maybe 3 times a week so portability will be a factor. Both computers are already portable as they are though.

Advice is highly appreciated! Thanks.

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Go with the air. For your case since battery life and portability are important, Id say go with the air, its better for those purposes. You dont really need the retina display and its not too big of a step up from the air in terms of power. (at least the 13 rMBP (2012) v 13 MBA (2013))

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

4. foxf8 macrumors member

if i was your apple tech id sell you the air and have no problems sleeping at night for the things you say u are using it for and the hardware it has well last years down the road for the things you do. if you really wanted the retina id sell u that one too i have the retina and it does make a difference. i watch movies and media all the time it really is a "1080p" screen yes retina has more pixels but thats because your closer so u need more to equal the quality of hd tv. and the retina delivers! but if u get the air u wont miss what u dont know is there. u well be very happy with air if u get it. and its lighter too. couple books and lunch and water bottle in your backpack a pound or two less with the air well make a big difference day in and out with all the stuff u carry around.