rMBp or New MBa

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BleepyEvans, Jun 11, 2013.

1. BleepyEvans macrumors newbie

I'm faced with a dilema. I urgently need a new notebook and was half expecting a retina air or updated retina pro at the WWDC. As neither appeared yesterday I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the following.

I either get the new 13" air with the i7 and 8GB RAM upgrades or go for the base 13" retina pro. (both price up to be almost the same)

I ideally wanted a retina display but as the retina macbook pro wasn't updated, I dont really want to buy a notebook that is likely to be the old model in a couple of months.
    The new air isn't likely to be updated for some time, it also comes with more storage than the base 13" retina pro, but doesnt have the sexy screen. How much difference am I really going to see against a 13" retina screen and a standard one?

So in a nutshell, new 13" air with i7 and 8gb ram upgrades or base 13" retina pro?

Thanks in advance

2. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

You haven't written the most important thing: What will you be using the Mac to do?

Air and rMBP are for two totally different markets.

3. BleepyEvans thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, the majority will be Text editors, Dreamweaver, Photoshop and the Web.

4. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Then the Air will be really good for you.

If you like working on the go, go for the Air.

The rMBP's big advantage is the screen. But the extra horsepower of the hardware won't be relevant for you.

So if you can live without the retina screen, you might be best off with the Air :) If the screen is the only reason for you to choose the rMBP, you might want to think about if you really want to pay so much just for the screen.

5. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

i'd say the screen is an absolute must if you're doing work that requires lots of detail.
    13" rMBP