rMBP or wait for 2012 iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dndandrea, Jul 4, 2012.

  1. dndandrea, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

    dndandrea macrumors 6502

    Feb 10, 2010
    Is anyone else having a problem deciding whether to pickup the rMBP or wait for the 2012 iMac? The college I go to has rMBP in stock so I could easily go pick one up now without any waiting. I just sold my 2011 iMac since I wanted to get more money than what I'll get after the new one is released. Plus I can live with the iPad 2 I have for a while since I work full time and get mad overtime.

    If I wait for the iMac I'll probably get atleast 27" or whatever the bigger size desktop they release is and keep the iPad 2. Or my other option is to sell my iPad and buy the rMBP right now to enjoy during the summer and be ready for school. I'm afraid that I'll wait until August for the iMac and it wont get released which means I'll have to buy the rMBP that I coulda had a long time ago and enjoyed using it during the summer. Then I'll feel stupid when the iMac gets released the next month or something.

    I use my computer for a countless amount of things and I'm not going to make along post about it but I'd really like to have the ability to play games without going down to the lowest graphics settings like I had to do with my 2011 iMac. Guild Wars 2 is on the list and i bet there's no way I'll be able to play that on a 15".
  2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030


    Sep 22, 2009
    If you can wait, then you should. It should be easier to decide what you want when you see the newest next to each other.
  3. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 10, 2010
    The one thing I forgot to mention is. I NEED a computer by the end of August for school. I need it for an online class plus im sure ill be using it in/outside of class for course material.
  4. Galatian macrumors 6502


    Dec 20, 2010
    Your sure you must have the rMBP for that, or are you planning on using that as a Desktop replacement?
  5. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 10, 2010
    Not just for school, but by that time I do need access to a computer for school. If I get a laptop it has to be 15" or bigger. I used to have the 13" and it was too small. Id rather spend the extra $300 for the retina display plus flash storage. And yes if you read my original post this will be my only computer so it would be replacing my desktop.
  6. Angelis macrumors newbie

    Jun 14, 2012
    I've decided to go down to the nearest Apple store tomorrow (which is only about 15-20 mins away luckily), and order a BTO rMBP. I really wanted the iMac and was expecting it at, or just after WWDC, so I'm hugely disappointed there.

    It's for a music production studio, so the bigger screen would have been nice. As it stands, I'll be connecting two 22" LCDs. I can't wait any longer because I'm getting very little done on my current setup.

    However, if by chance the iMac is released withing 14 days of me receiving my rMBP, I will not hesitate to exchange it.
  7. Destroysall macrumors 65816


    Feb 28, 2012
    United States
    If you get the rMBP, just make sure you have some external storage options to store data. Flash storage is nice, but I would only use it for apps (i.e. Pro Tools, Logic Pro, or whatever it is you decide to download).

    There wouldn't be much of a difference between the upcoming iMac(s) and the new rMBP other than the fact that the upcoming iMac will not feature a retina display.

    If it makes things easier, you can always decide to grab an iMac or a TD display to use with the rMBP, but the rMBP should last you for a good while.
  8. Angelis macrumors newbie

    Jun 14, 2012
    Well, I got a bit of egg on my face today. Not having yet owned a Mac, I was not aware that there is no actual "proper" Apple store in Melbourne. So I contacted the My Mac CBD store, which is a premium reseller, and inquired about their returns policy. The service person led me to believe that it was similar to Apple's return policy. I made my way there, and the sales person informed me that they had a no return policy if the box has been opened.

    The sales person then advised me that if I went to the Chadstone store, then the Apple returns policy would apply. His wording had me believe that there was a My Mac store in Chadstone. It turned out to be an "Apple Shop". The extremely helpful salespeople there confirmed that the Apple returns policy applied. I then pulled out my cash to place a BTO order, but was instead directed to one of the MacBooks on display, where I was expected to place the order on the online Apple store. I could have done that from home if I wanted to use a card.

    I offered to purchase a store gift card, but was informed that I could not use it to place a BTO order, and that neither could it be used for online purchases.

    Sorry about the rant, but being run around usually does that to people. With regards to your comment, I am using Reason 6.5. I have an external USB 3.0 1TB HDD, but even with all my instruments and song files, I'm only using up around 100GB on my current system. Is there any reason I would want to avoid using the Flash drive for storing my recorded tracks and songs?

  9. roxxette macrumors 68000


    Aug 9, 2011
    Yeah Angelis, in my county is the same "official" resellers can mislead people and its not the same practice as the apple store :( i remember a american guy and hes daughter having a big fight in one of these store over here because they couldnt return an item and he was going mad cause in USA he could do it and here no lol i must say he was having a hard time and even threating to sue the store !
  10. Destroysall macrumors 65816


    Feb 28, 2012
    United States
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out in the end. On the note of using the Flash drive as storage. It's perfectly fine, but most of your tracks/songs will eat up memory fast, and before you know it, you will be out of memory. I don't know entirely how Cloud works, however, as I personally don't really use it.
  11. topocalypse macrumors member

    Apr 13, 2011
    Then you almost have to get rMBP, since I doubt the new iMac would be out by august, not to mention this year at all. I hope the new iMac has really fast GPU so I can game high+ quality on them. personally i'm already satisfied with my MBP and I dont think rMBP is so much better that it justifies upgrading.
  12. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Given that you need it by August, pretty much seals the deal. You either buy a rMBP now or wait for the 2012 iMac which won't be out by August.
  13. NeXT MacRumors macrumors member

    Oct 2, 2011
    I would go for the rMBP if you need it right away, but otherwise I would wait.:cool:

Share This Page