rmbp overcharging?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bushido, Feb 4, 2013.

1. bushido Suspended

bushido

i usually just close the lid of my new retina MacBook Pro and leave it overnight. when i woke up this morning i noticed again - like a couple times before - that the bottom is REALLY hot as if the machine was still running all night.

could it have something to do with powernap? or battery issues?

edit: i just noticed that when i tried to turn the machine off that it gave me an "mail doesnt respond" error and wouldnt shut down. could this be the culprit?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac cannot overcharge. It stops charging when it's fully charged. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

It's possible Power Nap caused the heat, and it's also possible your Mac didn't stay in sleep mode all night.

For sleep issues, you may find some useful ideas here:
    Yes, it's possible a hung app such as mail prevented sleep mode.

3. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Most likely, it wasn't really sleeping like you suggest. Maybe it was mail that was hanging things up. Doubtful you had battery issues. If you overcharged or overdischarged the batteries, they would swell up the Macbook. Laptops have all sorts of protective circuitry to prevent that. Most times.... :)

4. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

had the same issues as you OP. Mine got Smoken hot, apple store swapped mine out since it was new.

have has a lot of issues with macbook..... hopefuly my current one works out