rMBP overheat worries?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KimHansenDK, Feb 25, 2013.

1. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

I just got myself a MacBook Pro Retina yesterday - best money I have spent in a long time.

I wanted to do a clean install / recovery and had to go do some other stuff, so I closed the lidt and put in the box (my little son is very curious) on the setup screen. When I came back later to take it out of the box I noticed the fans was running like crazy and the machine was hot. Apprently I had not gone to sleep when I closed the lid.

I took it ot and went outside immediately to cool it down and there have not been any issues so far. Is it safe to say that it has not harmed the machine in any way? I mean wouldn't it have shut down if the temperature got too high?

Any need to worry if the machine is working fine so far?
    And can I test if it has affected my machine?

2. MacKid macrumors 6502

Your computer has built-in safeguards that automatically turn the machine off if the internal components start to approach dangerous temperatures. In other words, your new lil' guy is just fine. =)

You should never have to actively seek to cool your MacBook Pro down unless you're doing something like rendering video while folding it up in a down blanket.

3. eezacque Guest

In the short term, it is not harmful: your machine is not melting away.
    In the long term, try to avoid situations like this, as a MacBook Pro has problems to dissipate its heat by design, which will affect the longevity of your logic board in a negative way.

4. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

So everything is fine?

Thanks a lot :)

----------

Only did this because I have not gotten a sleeve for it yet - and thought it was put to sleep. So it will not happen again. Just wanted to know if it had harmed my new (and expensive) machine?

5. MacKid macrumors 6502

The Retina MacBook Pro's cooling design is really almost supernatural - you shouldn't have excess anxiety about keeping it cool unless you're using it in a sauna, or blocking the bottom with thick bedding.

6. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

7. eezacque Guest

8. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Your'e fine. It happens to me every once in a while. I shut the lid assuming its going to sleep and put it in my work bag. When I take it out of my bag, the poor fans are cranking and the laptop is barely holdable. Still works. I try and make sure the fans are off before putting it inside my bag, but I'm in a rush a lot. :)

9. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

Not really, I use netflix on my MBP in bed for serious amounts of time, (yeah I go to bed and cant sleep for hours woteva) the thing makes an absolute racket and the CPU often gets up past 75C, however, the notebook has been run in situations like this for the past 2.5 years, never even the slightest blip.
    Also, imo, it does not have issues dissipating it's heat, as it also uses the unibody as a big heatsink.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg.
    Apple is one of the biggest (is it the biggest now?) pc vendors in the world, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't ship their flagship notebook with obvious flaws :confused:

10. MacKid macrumors 6502

Did you read that review all the way through? The GPU temps are similar (even a little higher), but the CPU temps are down by more than a few degrees Celsius, and the important part is that they can cool more independently than in the cMBP. There's also a notable difference in bottom case temp.

11. chrise2 macrumors 6502

There's using the laptop at high CPU when its out on a desk or your lap, and there's using a laptop at high CPU when shoved in an enclosed space (like in my bag when it didn't sleep right). Laptops get really hot that way and I've even had mine do a thermal shutdown a few times.

12. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

That's the point, they just do a thermal shutdown if it all gets a bit too toasty. I however, have never had a thermal shutdown.