Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
When I am gaming on Windows 7, I do not hear the fans at all.
After a while, the game starts to act funny because of the heat.

I installed istat on OSX and can change the fans speed, is this normal or is something wrong with my mbp?

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I use a program called LubbosFanControl on the Windows side, iStat doesnt allow control of fan speeds.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I installed istat on OSX and can change the fans speed, is this normal or is something wrong with my mbp?

This is completely normal, don't mess with your fans. Your computer will also automatically shut down if there is any danger to the unit itself, gaming is a graphics/memory intensive task and the computer needs to keep itself cool.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
It's a problem with Boot Camp's use of the discrete GPU for everything, even just sitting idle. The only way to overcome the issue is to either undervolt the CPU or set your fans higher to compensate for the higher heat.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Reset your SMC. I have to do that every time I reboot into Windows to do some gaming.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011

If you do not hear the fans at all, chances are you have been struck by the EFI bug. Here's more information:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452267/

Only fix so far, as suggested above, is to reset SMC.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks for the info, it is not very encouraging having to reset 8+ times.
I still am within my return period, and was thinking of getting an iMac.
But I like the option of using my RMBP on the couch.

mrbigglessworth

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
Stop using Windows. That should not be too big a sacrifice. ;)

This kind of comment is not helpful at all to the situation.

Its the same type of remark a few years back when someone has a minor windows issue and the response is to use Linux instead. It helps noone and you aren't smart nor funny for saying it. People have a valid need to use Windows and under most circumstances with bootcamp, Windows seems to run perfectly fine.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Why do you need to that?

I don't know what it is but if I don't do that I'll get terrible frame rates. It seems like the SMC won't let the laptop go into high speed mode so everything just goes slower. 20 FPS vs 100 FPS. However, when it's in "slow" mode the laptop is cooler and the fans aren't on as loud.

Dyno-Mike

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
United Kingdom
I don't know what it is but if I don't do that I'll get terrible frame rates. It seems like the SMC won't let the laptop go into high speed mode so everything just goes slower. 20 FPS vs 100 FPS. However, when it's in "slow" mode the laptop is cooler and the fans aren't on as loud.

That must be so frustrating! Im lucky in that Ive never had the bug.

Have you tried disabling Turbo on the CPU in bootcamp and see if the bug appears when its disabled?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.