Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
I had the 256GB briefly before realizing it would be inadequate for BootCamp usage. I don't forsee any problems managing 512GB.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Yes, I wish I would have gone with 768GB SSD. I maxed out everything else yet decided to go with the 500GB SSD and pair it with a 2 TB USB3 External HD. The extrenal drive is nice but I hate having to drag it out when I need something off of it.

I have a lot of VMs for work so I can eat through space pretty quickly so I see where 768GB would have been handy.

I am thinking about getting a 2013 Haswell MBP (depending on what Apple does) and I will go with the largest SSD they offer this time 'round. I am hoping it is much closer to 1TB. A 960GB SSD would be nice a nice upgrade from the 768GB model from last year.

-P

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
A 1 gb ssd would be nice indeed, specially if they don't change the current design and can be later installed on the current rMBP !!

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
no

Here's my response. I always WISH I had more, but I never NEED more. I have a 256GB rMBP, but only use about 125-150GB overtime. I use externals for my massive picture library.

My prediction is that in the next release, 512GB will be a lot cheaper, not 600$+ more like 300$ more, at that point I would probably spring for it..even though I probably don't need it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I will be upgrading this Summer, but I thought it might be helpful to hear from some current rMBP owners regarding the amount flash storage they chose and why they did. I currently am working on an iMac with a 1TB HDD, that's about 75% full. Consequently I'm gonna have to change the way I manage my files. The obvious choice is just to buy a USB powered external along with my new rMBP, but does anyone regret not shelling out the extra cash for more flash storage, despite the price?

Some context: Most of my work will be Photoshop and light editing in Final Cut (1 simple 5 minute clip each week). About 40 GB of iTunes Music. 80GB iPhoto. I like to have access to all my archived design files incase I need to recycle some assets... but I don't see foresee a reason why these files couldn't sit on an external hard drive as opposed to the flash storage.

I got the 13" with the 500GB SSD, but very quickly bought a 2TB WD USB3 drive to go with it...with sensible file management it works. Real time stuff that requires the speed lives on the SSD, all archive and "Work In Progress" stuff on the WD...It's a different way of working, but I got used to it pretty quickly, and those WD's are very inexpensive too.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I do regret not getting more storage. I had a nearly full 500GB drive in my old MBP before I got a 256GB rMBP, so this was a huge transition for me. I ended up clearing a lot of files that I don't that often. However, I do have the need to use a Microdrive with a 64GB micro SD card because the files I do use often still go over 256GB. If I could go back in time, I definitely would have gotten one with a 512GB drive. When you add up Bootcamp and a decent amount of movies/songs, that 256GB fills up a lot faster than you would expect.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I do regret not getting more storage. I had a nearly full 500GB drive in my old MBP before I got a 256GB rMBP, so this was a huge transition for me. I ended up clearing a lot of files that I don't that often. However, I do have the need to use a Microdrive with a 64GB micro SD card because the files I do use often still go over 256GB. If I could go back in time, I definitely would have gotten one with a 512GB drive. When you add up Bootcamp and a decent amount of movies/songs, that 256GB fills up a lot faster than you would expect.

It does...I chewed up 350GB in no time...now under control with the WD. Back in the day 500GB was huge....Now? It's borderline, and Before selling my 256GB MBA, it's drive had about 40GB left, and I only used it for light work and browsing.....I learned that lesson when I bought my new Imac and went for the 3TB FD. It'a attcahed to a Pegasus R4 which is also showing signs of being full...Might be time to daisy chain in another Pegasus I think.:)

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Could probably have got away with 512Gb, but decided not to be cheap (especially since I've already forgotten how much it was). Not too tight here, but would have been a bit harder work with 512 especially since starting to play with FCPX...

Hope the next-but-two model has 2Tb SSD as an option...

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
if your going bootcamp and if its your main computer you almost need 768 SSD. I hope the next model will spec everything up - 512 standard, 768 expanded, and 900ish for extreme.

MajkJaro

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2013
I'm looking at benchmarks on the net and the rMBP13 with ssd compared to mbp13 (i7) is only faster when it comes to duplicating folders and importing files.

How does it compare to apps like Photoshop? Lightroom? Safari? Premiere? Does ssd make them run faster or does the i7 have the edge?

Nemic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Mine has 512 GB internal, and it seems to be fine so far. However my iPhoto library is growing very rapidly!

I keep everything important backed up. One backup device is an external SSD drive that I connect using the portable Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter. I use a Crucial 256 GB SSD on the adapter and it is very very fast.

As the internal SSD Mac storage is expensive I find the external Thunderbolt option to be pretty viable.

You will sacrifice some portability, but this allows your storage requirements to grow with you, and it keeps the initial expense down a bit :)

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Like all things, if you have open space the tendency is to fill it. I moved to a MacBook Air with 64gig drive and I wondered if I would really be able to use the machine. For my work, I only really needed 30 gigs of apps/cad/documents. I only accessed my media files at home or on my Iphone. I also became very efficient about deleting files no longer needed. Worked fine for me for 2 years.

I recently purchase a Retina Macbook Pro with 256gig ssd. This is a huge jump up. Over the last month, I have actually gone down on my usage to 28 gigs. Unless my work requirements change, I will have enough room for quite some time. I find I actually like keeping all my media files on my home network where they are safe. My music collection is on my IPhone. And if I am using my MacBook Pro, I usually prefer to listen to Pandora or check out YouTube for music.

I do not synch or back up my Iphone with Retina MacBook Pro. I use my MacMini for that to save a little space.

Just look at what you need, while you are away from home base on a daily basis. If it fits comfortably in a 256, then you are safe. If you are using more than half, I would be a little worried and probably get the larger size initially if you can afford it.

If not as others have stated you can always upgrade.

Good Luck

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I will be upgrading this Summer, but I thought it might be helpful to hear from some current rMBP owners regarding the amount flash storage they chose and why they did. I currently am working on an iMac with a 1TB HDD, that's about 75% full. Consequently I'm gonna have to change the way I manage my files. The obvious choice is just to buy a USB powered external along with my new rMBP, but does anyone regret not shelling out the extra cash for more flash storage, despite the price?

Some context: Most of my work will be Photoshop and light editing in Final Cut (1 simple 5 minute clip each week). About 40 GB of iTunes Music. 80GB iPhoto. I like to have access to all my archived design files incase I need to recycle some assets... but I don't see foresee a reason why these files couldn't sit on an external hard drive as opposed to the flash storage.
What I would recommend is going through your files and make sure you don't have garbage on there that should've been deleted.

And then figure out how much of what is on there can be on an external drive that you may not have with you. Between your iTunes and iPhoto, I'd say a 256GB disk may feel too cramped and you might want to consider 512GB at least.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
[/COLOR]You are right about the size of music and photos. They take an enormous amount of space.

However, how you use them is the big difference. I have several users at home that need to have access to all of those files even when I am not there. It would be a problem, if I had all those files confined to my machine while I was gone. In addition, if I was the only user I still would use 350gig to hold all music and photos before I installed any application or work files so 512 would be too small for me and I would use over half of the 768gig hard drive. I much prefer having all static data file in a central home server and then accessing when home.

SSD and home server have changed my computing usage and habits but for the better.

Last edited:

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
I have 256 and that is more than enough for me. Previously, most of my disk space was taken up by movies and music, but I uploaded all my songs to the cloud with iTunes Match, listen to music on Spotify now and use Netflix, so I haven't really had any issues and have over 100 GB free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.