rMBP Pink tint on left, Green tint on right

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Farsider, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Just wanted to start a thread on a different colour tint problem as its not yellow and I'd really appreciate opinions on the problem.

I've just picked up my 3rd Mid-2014 13" rMBP. Brief history so far:

• 1st rMBP - Dark shadow in top right corner of the screen (no tint).
    • 2nd rMBP - Dark horizontal bar 3rd from the bottom of the screen across the entire screen. Yellow/Gold colour bleed on right corner on black screen (ie when watching a movie).

The screen on my 3rd 13" rMBP has a Pink/Magenta tint on the left of the screen, Yellowy/Green on the right. Its visible when web browsing, PDF reading etc. You don't have to look for it, its there right in front of you. When you start reading a sentence of text on the left, its got a pink tint. As your eyes move across the screen, the text and its background transition from a pink tint to a greeny tint. Backlight adjustments and calibration does nothing to improve the problem.

I'm now at day 15 since I purchased the original rMBP so I guess I can't just ask for a refund anymore. I have an appointment with the Genius bar this weekend and I'm at my wits end about what to do about this. I just want a decent screen. I've owned 6 Apple laptops, 4 iPhones and 3 iPad and never had to take anything back. The quality of the screen of these rMBPs are lousy!

I'm not a perfectionist but this is just in your face the entire time. Is this the best I should expect or is it worth pursuing another swap? In your experience will a genius swap the entire unit or want to 'repair' it with a screen swap?

Many thanks

2. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I feel awful for you :/ I've dealt with situations like this in the past. I would try to get a new MBP that is in a different lot number.. It sounds like you're dealing within a bad batch.

Edit: They aren't all lousy panels; mine is perfect.. not even backlight bleed.. It looks so much better than any Windows machine i've ever owned. So they exist.. demand excellence and to be satisfied.

3. Rbk23, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

Rbk23 macrumors regular

I'm on my 7th and it's the best one I have had so far in regards to tints and such, but running the IR test I see faint outline of the checkerboard pattern and I have backlight bleed in the top corner.

I have had 3 late 13 15", 1 late 13", 1 mid 14 15", and now 2 mid 14 13".

I have had A018, A020 and A022 panels. I went with the base model in the end so I can sell it easier if they do fix this issue down the road.

Here is what it looks like at full brightness in a dark room. Obviously the camera makes it look a little worse than it is.

[​IMG]

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Absolutely absurd... I am not sure if Apple's return policy renews for each exchange or not. If not there is always the repair option at any Genius Bar. They could also ship you a box if there are no Apple Stores near you.

5. Farsider thread starter macrumors 6502

Farsider

Just to bring some closure to this thread.

I took this red/green tinted 13" rMBP back to my local Apple Store today. Whilst they couldn't see the problem (I could) they had no problems swapping it out yet again. I pointed out this was my 3rd rMBP and they couldn't have been more apologetic. They said its not on that I am not 100% satisfied they wouldn't let me leave the store until I was completely happy. We sat down in the Personal Setup area with some rMBPs and went through them. They even got me a drink.

Luckily enough, the first one we opened had a 'perfect' screen. No tints, no dark spots, even backlight. Perfect for me. I left the store very happy. They even reset the 14 day return period again for me so if I was unhappy, I could return again.

This is the customer service I stick with Apple for and I finally have an awesome 13" rMBP.