rMBP Pixel Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattbaar26, Dec 20, 2013.

1. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

I just ordered a 13 in rMBP. It was between this and the air and I decided to go with the retina for the screen. I have been researching more and am concerned about the difference between the 1600 resolution and the 800 resolution. Does this mean the retina display isn't effectively a retina display? Will using the "best for retina" display give me the same resolution as the cMBP?

Sorry if this question seems naive.

2. Shmanky macrumors regular

The 13" cMBP has a resolution of 1280x800 while the 13" rMBP has a resolution of 2560x1600 which means that on the rMBP, it will use 4 pixels to make up the same point as on a cMBP so the dimensions of the objects on both displays will be the same size but on the rMBP it will look much sharper because it's using 4 pixels to draw the same point that a cMBP would use 1 pixel. Web browsers will also report 1280x800 as the resolution on a rMBP because that's the dimensions it uses for layout. It's very much like the difference between the resolution on an iPad 2 and an iPad 3 or the resolution on an iPhone 3GS versus the iPhone 4.