rMBP Price drop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Azarias59, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Azarias59 macrumors newbie

After the conference this week, how much do you suppose the price will drop for rMBP, 15" in particular.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. Azarias59 thread starter macrumors newbie

What I meant by that is how much would the older ones drop? Retailers still sell June 2012 rmbp for. $300 less than the newest February 2013 ones. Will these older ones price drop? And if so, by how much?

4. maxosx macrumors 68020

I'd suggest avoiding the older ones at all costs. Being a first generation product, some were very bug ridden. Apple replaced three of mine before I got one that functioned properly. The time and money spent month after month waiting for them to sort things out, was a reminder that it's risky business buying a first gen product.

Although my current 15" MBPr is decent, I am getting rid of it just as soon as I have one of the newly released models in hand.

Apple does a lot of "silent" updates that in many cases are not only unpublished, or unnoticed, other than the fact that the new laptop works so well.

After everything I've endured, the newest model with be very nice to have. Besides I've been through this a few times over the years, and Apple always delivers a nicely refined gen two model that functions as it should.

And _that's_ the one to have. :)

5. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Aside from first gens, I'm hoping we see a slight price drop with the new ones announced at WWDC. I wouldn't mind if they didn't, but I mostly just hope they don't get more expensive. A price drop would be nice though. Make them slightly more affordable.

6. Azarias59 thread starter macrumors newbie

What are some of the problems that you had? I'm assuming you mean hardware problems rather than software?

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

The first one had six scratches on the lid near the Apple logo. Approx 45mm in length and deep enough to sink your fingernail in, it was all the Apple Genius could do to not act shocked when he inspected it.

Luckily I had opened the box right in the store in front of the sales assistant, so there was no question it came that way. Being a BTO / CTO model I had delivered to the store for ease of pickup, Apple was quick to arrange a replacement, but it had to be built, so I was out for one full month.

Upon arrival of the second machine I went into the Apple store (minutes from both home and my office) unpacked it with a witness, only to find it was DOA. While that could happen to any brand, or model, it was a very discouraging situation. Now with the store managers personal involvement, they assured me they would expedite another replacement straight from China.

That did not happen. They simply put the order in the que and I was forced to wait another five weeks (they were still in high demand at that time) before they built it. One week later it arrived at the store.

It booted and ran fine with one exception. I ran very hot. The genius disappeared into the back room with it. I waited and waited patiently. Finally I was advised by another person that they were on the phone with Apple.

Long story short that one was defective and had to be returned.

Even this one had the well known runaway fan problem. At least this time it was a software patch issued by Apple that fixed it after waiting an additional six weeks for them to create it.

The hard part was Apple doesn't seem to care enough about the customer to take responsibility, and at least tell us they are "working on a fix". They deny, deny, deny. Or simply say nothing at all. Being the powerhouse they are, and having especially compliant customers, they can get away with it easily.

So there's the answer to your questions.

Cheers :)

8. Kushp14 macrumors regular

9. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

How did you conclude it ran hot? What did you have running and did you monitor temps?

10. skolvikes macrumors newbie

I feel this would be safe

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe apple usually discounts the older model by 12% or there abouts. So it won't be much but every penny counts :)

12. maxosx macrumors 68020

I didn't, after getting defective ones previously I had this BTO model delivered to the store. Upon notification that it had arrived I made a Genius Bar appointment. Asked him to unpack it to insure if there was a problem I'd have a witness.

The Genius nearly burned his hand moments after it was booted by him for the first time right out of the box. Nothing but the software that comes on it. Immediately unplugging it he, promised a replacement would be ordered.

After a few months & repeated replacements I finally got one that functions properly. I've found it priceless to choose in store pickup, it's only a few miles from my house & if there's a problem, it gets handled right there.

I can't complain I bought 8 new Mac's in eight years & they were all built properly. It's only been the last 3 that were defective. Apple can't be expected to maintain quality at the rate they're selling iOS devices which make them more money than the MBP's or MBA's I buy.

It's just business. Apple makes its money on what's trendy & popular like any other big box store.

13. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Sure they can. The QA procedures at Foxconn don't change just because Apple makes a wider range of products. Six-sigma manufacturing is six-sigma manufacturing. Apple wouldn't use them to manufacture most of their lineup if they didn't adhere to globally recognized quality standards.

And given that your experience is what I would call an extreme statistical outlier, I don't think their ability to 'maintain quality' has changed in any meaningful way, though you are of course entitled to disagree.

14. maxosx macrumors 68020

I'm only relating my first hand real life experience. If I didn't trust Apple I wouldn't spend the tens of thousands of dollars I have over the last twenty years. A shareholder since 1991, I'm in it for the long haul.

Apples no different despite the hype. They have products built by others to Apple specs. If the manufacturer cuts corners & slacks off on quality control eventually Apple will catch it.

You'll notice I haven't brought up Foxconn, they're as good as any. It just a computer.

15. stephen85 macrumors member

Kinda makes me glad i ordered a cMBP to spec out myself.

16. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Then it appears we are on the same page. It just strikes me that some people seem not to realize that Apple computers are mass manufactured and as such are prone to the same failings as any other mass market product. Having three duds in a row, while extremely, extremely unlucky, is not impossible (and, as you obviously agree, doesn't reflect on the quality of the brand as a whole).

To me it's how the company deals with those issues that defines them. Apple is better than most, though they can cop a bit of an attitude at times.

17. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I agree. Apple has had too many qt issues in the last several years, sadly some of it is the supplier's fault.

18. Azarias59 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think it would be safe to say that the February models will be at least $100 less?

19. Philuk84 macrumors member

I'm eager to know too, but I think it's important to understand that it's impossible to know. We don't even know if there's a new one coming out.