rMBP prices dropped: Should I exchange mine for a bigger SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by walkie, Feb 13, 2013.

  1. walkie macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2010
    #1
    Last week I got my BTO 15" rMBP with 256/16/2.6, I'm still on the 14-day window, today Apple dropped the rMBP prices and I can return mine and get a new one with a maxed out 512/16/2.7 setting, the only benefit for me would be the increased storage of 512Gb SSD at a lower price since I won't really notice the difference of speed on the CPU... luckily I got a Samsung panel with my current rMBP and I'm afraid of getting a LG panel with image retention if I exchange it for a new one, I know I can exchange it again if I get a LG panel until I get a Samsung panel but I would have to demonstrate/convince Apple that the panel is not good. Recently I had to exchange a Sony VAIO and I'm a little fed up with exchanging, I'd love to have the 512Gb at a lower price but I don't' wanna deal with Apple over and over again until I get a Samsung panel, and its impossible to know it until you unbox the laptop, what would you do?.
     
  2. chrfr macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2009
    #2
    If you're happy with the computer you have, call Apple and see if they'll give you some money back on yours.
     
  3. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2010
    #3
    I will call them by tomorrow and see what they say about it, thank you.
     
  4. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2010
    #4
    I called Apple today and they told me I have to return my current rMBP and get a new one to take advantage of the prices drop, they would pick it up and I can buy the new one at the store or online while they're processing my refund, the fastest way is buy the new one now at the store and test both laptops this weekend and see which one is better than the other and return one, that would depends on panel quality and speed, since some have reported Image Retention and performance issues.

    What do you think?
     
  5. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

    PatriotInvasion

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #5
    I think the jump from 256GB to 512GB is a big deal assuming you need the storage space. I would get more for your money now while you can which will also increase the resale value of the machine down the line.

    Don't let Apple beat you just because you're scared of image retention, which I think has been made out to be a much bigger deal on these forums than it really is. (I have a 13" rMBP - no clue who manufactured the screen, but haven't noticed any flaws because I haven't been obsessively looking for them)

    Assuming you have AppleCare, you're covered against mechanical defects for 3 years, so go for it.
     
  6. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2012
    Location:
    U.S.
    #6

    you will be getting more for your money? return is for sure.
     
  7. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2010
    #7
    Yes I'll be getting 256Gb more storage for only 134€ more and a bit of speed on CPU.

    ----------

    That's for sure, there are more people with flawless rMBPs out there.
     
  8. christof macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 8, 2002
    Location:
    SFO, JFK
    #8
    I bought a 13-inch retina 128GB for $1250 at Best Buy open box. The discontinued 2.5GHz 256GB config is now $1360 with Apple Refurb. For $110, another 128GB of storage was worth it to me.
     
  9. KPOM macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #9
    Maybe see if a store will let you "return" and repurchase it, or try calling again. After all, if you send it back to Apple, they will wind up selling that refurbished for 85% of the new selling price and getting even less for it than if they simply refund you the difference.

    If that doesn't work, I'd go ahead and return it. The image retention issue isn't universal, and it is covered by the warranty. It's a big enough price drop to take advantage of.
     
  10. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2013
    Location:
    Indiana
    #10
    I'm on my way to the Apple Store now make that exact swap. Good luck with your screen if you decide to exchange it.
     
  11. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2013
    #11
    I decided to do a refurb "swap" since I just got a base 2.3 last week...So for $340 more, it's a 2.3 to a 2.6 and 256gb to 512gb with the same 8gb ram though.
     
  12. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2010
    #12
    I asked them if they could use my current rMBP and change only the SSD and the CPU and get it back to me and they said they don't do things like that, what a pity, only return and buy again works for them, they would save money doing those things if customer agree, I will buy a new one at the store tomorrow and apply for a return for my current one and wait for the refund since I don't a need to buy a BTO setting anymore.

    ----------

    :D good luck on yours!
     
  13. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2013
    Location:
    Indiana
    #13
    Just got mine! A couple of notes:

    -It is still the MBP with Retina 10,1.
    -It has a few updates including packaging and the copyright on the bottom has been changed to 2013. It is a C02K serial number instead of C02J.
    -I won the lottery and got a Samsung panel! Reports to follow.
    -It's listed in About This Mac as "Retina, 15-Inch, Early 2013". Insignificant in practice, but ++resale value.

    I'll make an 'unofficial' changelog thread when I get home to make more observations, since I still have my roommate's launch-day model with LG to compare it to.
     
  14. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2013
    #14
    Can you compare temps...I'm curious to see an iFixit teardown to see if there are actual changes to the thermal solution.
     
  15. bogatyr macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    #15
    Even if you weren't getting upgraded specs, you should return it to get the savings they just passed on. No matter what, if you can return, you should... you'll be saving money and getting more bang for your buck.

    0 downside.
     
  16. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

    swerve147

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    #16
    This, in bold, for sure. It is a no brainer to get more storage for a cheaper price if you need it.
     

Share This Page