rMBP purchase confusion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pk314, Jun 13, 2014.

  1. pk314 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2014
    #1
    I recently purchased a late 2013 13in rMBP 2.4/8/256 from best buy and I managed to get $230 off retail price so I bought it. I was very confused between the Air and Pro but decided on the Pro simply because of its retina display. Now I know loved the Air too but after looking at the retina the Air's screen was just disappointing. But now I'm hearing rumors of a Retina Air model coming out soon. Im once again confused; should I return my Pro and wait or keep it because I got such a nice price on the Pro and to be honest I love the Pro as well. I definately need a laptop by september before my semester starts so I could really use some opinion from others.

    Thanks!
     
  2. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #2
    Given your September timeline, it is very unlikely any new models will be out by then... so I would just keep what you have. The latest info from Intel's CEO promised new chips available for computer manufacturers by the "holidays", so I don't expect you will see new Macbook models until close to the end of the year at best.

    Give this a read.
     
  3. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2014
    #3
    Honestly, besides being slightly lighter weight, what would draw you to the Air over your current Pro? Especially being that you got the 8/256, I can't imagine the retina Air (if it were to be released in your timeframe) would come with those stats. Combine that with an underclocked version of the processor you have now (in all likelihood) and I think you'd be sorely disappointed.

    Also, the first iteration of a product is usually one to wait on as they become more refined and work the kinks out by the second version.
     
  4. unknownfps macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    #4
    In your situation, you have to stick with the late 2013 model. You'll have a slight buyer's remorse because the late 2014 model is coming soon.

    Apple's latest 2014 hardwares are expected to announce and sell in early October.

    If I were you, I would get a cheap laptop or desktop and buy the late 2014 MacBook.

    Late 2013 models shouldn't let you down. You saved some money for it!
     
  5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

    capathy21

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Location:
    Houston, Texas
    #5
    I recently found myself in almost the exact same situation. I had purchased the 13 inch air and although I loved the machine, I could not get past the very average display. Having a retina iPad and iPhone 5s, I found my eyes really being strained by the air's display. I knew the supposed "retina air" is coming later this year and had convinced myself that I would keep the current air and just sell it when the retina air comes out. After a week I just couldn't get used to it. I returned it and got an open box late 2013 retina macbook pro 8/256 and saved over 300 bucks off of the retail price.

    I absolutely loved the design and lightness of the air, but that damn screen was just not working for me. I absolutely love the rmbp and feel it will be a great machine for several years to come. As someone else mentioned. The retina air will be new technology which is sure to have bugs. With the rmpb, you also get a faster processor and a 13.3 inch display whereas the retina air is rumored to have just a 12 or 11.8 inch display.

    Although I do kind of miss the lightness of the air, the pro is very compact and light compared to any other machine out there. I also fell that it is an overall better built machine than the air was.

    As far as waiting for the 2014 rmbp refresh, you could, but there will always be a newer version and you might wait forever. Also, look at how much you saved on the 2013 model. If you wait for the 2014 refresh, you will likely pay at least 200 more.
     
  6. Altemose macrumors G3

    Altemose

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2013
    Location:
    Elkton, Maryland
    #6
    Keep it and stop cheating on your computer by looking at other models.
     
  7. 5to1, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

    5to1 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    #7
    Expected by who? Based on what? Nobody has any idea when Apple's next refresh will be, a few weeks ago people were adamant it would be announced at the WWDC lol.

    The only concrete information we have is Intel are struggling with Broadwell and their own CEO has confirmed we won't see availability for manufacturers until the holidays. Therefore what would Apple be refreshing in October? Base Memory bump, SSD capacity bump, small processor bump? Since the OP made a saving already to offset the impact of those, he/she is hardly going to suffer much remorse over that.

    The only people that may suffer buyers remorse are those who buy a machine with a dGPU now, as thats the only part where a significantly better part is now available for Apple to use in a refresh. Even then its questionable they'd upgrade the GPU alone in a refresh, rather then wait to do that with Broadwell.
     
  8. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2014
  9. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
  10. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #10
    As with the others, keeping the rMBP makes too much sense.

    If you have too, sell it, if/when the rMBA comes out.
     
  11. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #11
    The 13" Air is slightly lighter and thinner at the thinnest part, but it has a bigger footprint area than the 13" rMBP.

    This is a more significant factor for me than the small weight and thinner-in-parts advantages of the Air.

    I cannot understand why anyone would chose an Air over a Pro except to save money.
     
  12. jg321 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #12
    Agreed with this. I'd get the 11", for pure portability, but I'd have to be travelling *a lot* to make the screen downgrade from the 13" Retina worth it.

    13" Air? Really can't see the point right now. Doesn't make sense to me in the lineup. I have the 13" Retina and I love it. Smaller footprint is much more important to me.
     
  13. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #13
    All rumors. Be happy with your excellent computer.

    Otherwise you'll always be wishing for the next best thing.
     

Share This Page