rMBP Purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scuba629, Jun 4, 2014.

  1. Scuba629 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    #1
    My wife has given me the OK to get a new laptop this year. The issue is I think this year might be a bad time to upgrade. I have done a little searching and found most are waiting for other chipsets (Broadwell, Skylake).

    My plan was to sell my 2012 MBA and get a new and maxed out rMBP with a TB display. However now I'm not so sure.

    The "deal" we stuck suggests I can get a new laptop every 3 years. If I buy one today or when they are refreshed I might miss out on big upgrades in the future.

    Thoughts?
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Broadwell is not due out until late 2014, and we have no idea if apple will push out a Broadwell MBP in 2014 because of that.

    If you can wait until late 2014, early 2015 then that may be the best, otherwise bite the bullet.
     
  3. Scuba629 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    Better GPU, improved CPU to some degree and I think they've improved the power consumption to increase battery life. Whether that's worth waiting, I have no idea. I'm on Ivy Bridge and I'm happy with my rMBP.
     
  5. Scuba629 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    #5
    sounds like a big upgrade. The main reason I want the rMBP is for games that support the display. It looks like they are saying the GFX will be about 40% better. That alone is great but if you add more battery life and a CPUthat doesn't get as hot it seems like I might have to wait.

    Sucks as I really wanted a new laptop this year.
     
  6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2004
    #6
    Every new set of chips is better than the previous bunch. You could be waiting until march of next year for the new rmbps. While obviously the ones coming out later will be better, it is far enough out that I think it is reasonable to buy now.

    If you buy today or next year, in 3-4 years you'll want the new one regardless.
     
  7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #7
    No matter when you buy, you will always be in danger of missing the big upgrade of the future. The important point many people forget is that if you don't buy now, you will continue to miss out on the great upgrades that are already available, compared to your current machine.

    If the current rMBP feels like a big upgrade to you, and looks like a machine you would like to own, then just buy it.

    Say you wait until February 3rd, 2015*, when the new Broadwell rMBPs will arrive: Then you just shift the problem to whether you should wait for Skylake which might or might not appear late in 2015.



    * Obviously this is just a guess. 6-9 months from now seems likely for Broadwell rMBPs. If it turns out to be 02/03/15 then I said it first :D
    Super-Pi day would also be nice for a release: 3/14/15.
     

Share This Page