rMBP purchasing question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amalkan, Jun 21, 2015.

1. amalkan macrumors newbie

I'm looking to upgrade from my 2009 MBP since it's getting too slow for my needs, should I get a new computer this year, or wait till the highly anticipated Skylake Intel release...?

2. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

Tests have shown only a 4% performance gain in the CPU and negligible battery savings. if you think 4% will break your computing needs, wait.

3. amalkan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, and also will adding more RAM make my computer "faster" in a few years? Or should I just go with the stock ram and upgrade to 256gb hard drive?

4. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

Ram is not upgradeable (by the user or the factory). And although it is possible to replace the storage it's not a standard SATA SSD.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Depends on what you intend to do with it and how long you plan on keeping it.

Arguably, adding more RAM will keep it running more efficiently for longer. RAM can't be upgraded later.

On the other hand: If you wanted to upgrade storage later, it's difficult but not impossible. Easiest method is to use external hard drives. Or, you might be able to get a larger drive scavenged from other MacBook Pros of the same generation on eBay. Or, possibly down the line OWC and other vendors might start making third party upgrades, but this seems to be more of a long shot since they haven't done this yet, and the connector seems proprietary.

In any case, I'd prioritize your money this way:

1. RAM
    2. SSD storage
    3. CPU (a distant 3rd)

6. amalkan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! Also do you think I should just wait it out until the next intel chip upgrade or will it be minimal for my use? (College student, no graphics, basically internet and word)

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Why is it slow? What apps are you running? What OS are you running?
    Did you upgrade to an ssd?

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

For what you are describing, any iPad works.
    If there is an ssd in your 2009 mbp, then it should be more than fine.

Nobody knows how much storage you need, but any upgrade for your usage would be wasted $$$.
    Also look here: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-much-ram-do-i-need-in-my-macbook.1756865/

9. amalkan thread starter macrumors newbie

Meister I'm running 10.10 just regular internet, excel, word, and Itunes usage. No I have not updated to a SSD, I'm looking to purchase a computer and scale down to a more portable 13 inch, and I want the 256 gb becuase mine is almost full as is.

10. Meister, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015

Meister Suspended

Meister

If you would upgrade your 2009 machine to an ssd, it would be as fast as any new macbook for what you are doing. If you are set on buying a new macbook: any machine will be equally fine and upgrades are a guaranteed waste of money. Might as well use $-bills to wipe your ass.

11. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

+1 for upgrading your current machine.

I'm using a 2008 MBP 15" (2.4Ghz, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM), and it fulfills my needs (basic office stuff, Xcode, Matlab, Latex every now and then) just fine. Sure, some things could be a little snappier (compared to my i5 gaming machine or my i7 notebook at work), but that's nothing I'd spend thousands of $ on.

If you don't have to care about money and really want to get a new computer then sure, get it, but performance-wise there is no real need to do so (with regard to your needs).