rMBP Question - FCP, Photoshop + Gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SiskoKid, Jun 21, 2012.

1. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Hey!

So I currently have a MacBook Air which has treated me very well, but I recently got a new job and will start in a little over a week.

Having a portable computer that can handle light to medium amounts of video editing and medium amount of photo editing would be super helpful.

I was looking at the rMBP, but I'm unsure if buying the lowest end version would be sufficient for my needs. I've heard that FCP can need a lot of RAM and with a retina display I don't know if adding more RAM is necessary. And it makes me a tad nervous that the hard drive only has 256GB of space.

I also am wondering if plugging the rMBP into an external monitor with a lower resolution will bump up the frames per second for gaming or if it would be no different than just gaming on the laptop's screen.

Thanks for any help!

2. SiskoKid thread starter macrumors 6502

3. valleydesign macrumors member

I've got a 2.7/16gb/512gb on the way. I don't do much video at all but a do a ton of heavy lifting in photoshop/illustrator/indesign. Not concerned one bit. I'm replacing my early '08 mbp and when it was at its prime it could handle moderately large Ps files easily. As for the screen, I myself will be hooking into a 27" ACD. I'd be interested in an answer to that question as well. Logically, its driving less pixels... but Idk.

4. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

If the game in question is being rendered at a lower resolution, the performance will be better 100% of the time. So yes, using the ACD will improve performance... but not a ton (assuming you want to run at native resolution). I imagine that dropping the game down to 1080p would be the best performance/quality trade-off in most cases.

Oh, and make sure the MBP itself is closed and/or has the display disabled.