rMBP Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkScarn, May 31, 2013.

1. MarkScarn macrumors newbie

I am going to buy the 13 Retina MacBook Pro. I am not making any adjustments or add ones to the computer. Is it worth waiting until the tenth to see if there are any updates?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013

simsaladimbamba

Yes, it may be worth it, due to better promised battery life and a better integrated graphics processor (IGP) and probably more standard storage.

3. MarkScarn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I was unsure if it was worth it since I was just going to get the basic rMBP.

4. abc123 macrumors 6502

If you need it to do something before the 10th, buy now if not, wait. Alternatively look at the refurb options on the online store, they were just dropped in price so are a great option if you are looking for value and don't need the absolute latest.

5. Robster3 macrumors 68000

You won't get one on the 10th, it will be a wait. I got my wife a base 13" retina refurb. Man it is good. I have had a base 2013 15" retina for a few months and for basic use i can't tell the difference.
    If anything the 13" seems a bit quicker. Its more portable. My 15" replaced a 27" imac though.

If you need it now get a refurb. Very impressed.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At this point it makes sense to wait until the keynote, just to be sure you make an informed decision.

7. MarkScarn thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate all of the suggestions. It is a tough choice. My fiance spilt water on my computer in January. It only works when it is plugged into the wall. It is about five years old now anyways and I am ready for a change.

If I do wait, could I still purchase the model that I could but today if I am not enamored with the updates?

8. simsaladimbamba

Yes, either through the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store or other outlets selling Apple hardware. The current model will not just vanish on June 10th if the new MBPs are not available on that day.

9. Serban Suspended

I should wait, only if get me a 9h battery usage and just for that and i wait, and in advance a better integrated graphics. So for the same money..is no brainer

10. Serban Suspended

And lets not forget that the new lineup upgrade it will be almost sure that will never get any hotter like old models. I think there were rumours that the maxout temp will be 87C

11. ksowder macrumors newbie

At this point it may make sense to wait, however, you will have to wait a few weeks for the computer to actually ship. If battery life is what you are after, the current notebooks currently get excellent battery life. I cannot speak for the 13 inch, but my 15'' rMBP gets about 7-8 hours of life under lite/normal usage with the screen at about 1/2 brightness. I bought mine brand new, but the referbs are always a great deal. We currently have a 17 inch 2010 model that was a referb and have had 0 issues with it. You get the same great 1 year warranty that covers just about everything too.

If you need it, buy it now, any upgrades are not likely to be significant enough for the average consumer to notice a difference.

12. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I buying full retail: YES, wait.

If you get a good deal on refurbished or similar (40-50% off retail): BUY :eek:

Just my 2 cents:)

13. ksowder macrumors newbie

^this

14. wmage macrumors member

Do you think that refurbished 15" rMBP will be gone soon?

I figured it should be even cheaper after new models come out, but who knows?

15. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I just got rMBP 13" 128gb flash with 8gb of ram at BB on sale for $1470 with 18 months of no interest; should I have waited? Or is this a good enough deal to take?

16. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Given that that is only $30 off retail, you definitely should have waited.

17. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I apologize, I meant to say that I got it on sale for 1,375, out the door for 1,471..

I got 15 days to return.

18. B... macrumors 68000

B...

How much did you pay? $1375 or $1471?

19. MarkScarn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the input. I plan on waiting until next Monday. If they are not ready on the day of the announcement, what are the typical wait times?

20. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Less than a month.

21. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

1,471 after tax.

22. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I would return it. New comps are only 8 days away!