rMBP RAM being used up.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fenderguy12, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Fenderguy12 macrumors newbie

Today i decided to install a windows partition using bootcamp. At first I didnt give the partition enough memory so i deleted it and partitoned it once again. After going back to OSX i noticed a huge difference in performance. Everything ran incredibly slow and took a long time to process even the simplest tasks. Thinking it would solve the problem i once again deleted the windows partition. I rebooted and things got a little better. I then tried to repair disk permissions and again had little results. Whenever i have itunes open or try to open it, it causes big problems and everything slows down. The same thing happens anytime i try to play an audio file on any player. However if i keep itunes closed and don't try to play any music things run decently, still slow but decent. But in order for things to stay this way i have to constantly clean my RAM up. If i don't i get left with around 10 MB of RAM. I checked the activity monitor and seems that coreadiod is using up the RAM. The process is staying around 115% of CPU usage. This happens even when everything is closed and i am idle at my desktop.

This is a big problem and i can never have more than about 3GB of RAM free and even then it quickly drops until i'm left with just MB's. My MAcBook is a 15 in. retina MBP with 8 GB of RAM. Before the bootcamp OSX always ran super fast with no problems. There is only one thing i can think of that caused this problem. In my windows partition i downloaded various media players including itunes and winamp. I was trying to basically share my itunes library on the OSX partition over to the windows. To do this i changed the itunes media folder location to the one on the OSX partition. This did not accomplish my task but it did keep that file directory. Also with windows media player i added the same itunes media folder to the list of folders for WMP to access, this also did not work. In winamp i added the same folder and it read my music no problem. I think this is where the problem lies seeing as itunes and playing audio files seems to leave my computer almost unfuctional. The odd part is it doesn't even have to be an audio file in my itunes library, a file completely seperate that i didnt try to add to the windows partition causes the same issue.

I'm not too knowlwedgable on this so i have no idea what else to try. Any help or any suggestions as to what to do would be greatly appreciated.

----------

On startup everything works great until I try to open iTunes or play an audio file. itunes does not open and if I force close it, coreaudiod then starts to use up all of my RAM.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Fenderguy12, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

Fenderguy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not concerned with my RAM being used up so much as the effects it is having. Sorry i guess my title is misleading. Im experiencing page outs and a big slow down in small tasks. If I do not clean up my RAM constantly coreaudiod takes up all of it until i'm left with only KB's. keep in mind this even when I am running nothing. When my RAM gets down to KB's things freeze up and i have to reboot. On top of it i cannot get music to play. Even on youtube i experience breaks in the audio and a slow down in all tasks. the only thing that seems to play music is spotify. But this also slow down simple tasks. Even refreshing a page or clicking onto another one causes the spinning ball to come up. This happens usually only in the application playing the audio. Any other application usually works okay, but thats with cleaning my RAM constantly.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Remember that page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so begin by restarting your Mac and then run your normal workload. At a time when you're experiencing page outs, follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
      (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

5. Fenderguy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

here are the screenshots

Attached Files:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Several have reported problems with high resource usage by the coreaudiod process. Most have reported success by simply reinstalling OS X.

On another note, I see you're running Avast, which also consumes system resources. I recommend uninstalling it.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below).

3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

7. Fenderguy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

After some thought i think i have figured out the problem. i was going through my drive deleting items in the library and system folders etc. i must have deleted an important file in one of them. is there anyway to download these files or is the only way to reboot my OS?

8. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Restore from Time Machine backup, otherwise it's safer to reinstall the OS.

9. Fenderguy12 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I go ahead and reinstall the OS does that delete my files? Or do i have to have a backup drive because as of right now i have no way to store a backup of my hard drive.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's always a good idea to backup your drive before doing anything major, but reinstalling OS X does not delete your user data. I recommend you get a backup drive as soon as you can. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of my drive. If my boot drive ever fails, I can simply boot up from my backup drive and I'm back in business.

You can use version 3.5.1 ($40) or 3.4.7 (free, and works well on OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8).