rMBP RAM with Mavericks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timsaxman, Oct 16, 2013.

1. timsaxman, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

timsaxman macrumors member

Hello.

I hear a lot of people recommending that you max out the RAM in a rMBP since it's not upgradable post purchase. But does anyone have any experience of the "Memory Compression"-feature in Mavericks? Does it make huge differences and can you get by with 8 gigs of RAM? I'm not one to always keep almost every app open thus needing a lot of RAM and I don't know if I want it just to "future proof" it.

So to those of you who have used Mavericks on a rMBP, does it make a noticeable difference and does it make buying the rMBP with just 8 gigs of RAM more sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

2. leman macrumors 604

You can get by with 8GB even on Mountain Lion. Most users don't need 16GB - only people who work with large data sets (as in videos or photos) or run multiple virtual machines would really benefit from it.

3. actuallyinaus, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

actuallyinaus macrumors regular

4. irock101 macrumors 6502

irock101

No problems here with 8gb - i use an external thunderbolt display, edit the occasional family video and use photoshop without any problems :)

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

It really is , SSD's can swap memory very quickly and you will not find a speed issue , i have 8gb ram and run Virtual machines regularly without issue.

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well i think 8gb is more then enough if you do not work on any creative applications or apps that need lots of ram. When i am not working on music or videos it hardly uses over 4-6gb of ram. Currently as i type this firefox has 5 tabs open i have itunes open, and microsoft word, it shows me 10.5 gb ram free. Plus the app nap feature is amazing, while on ac power if i have lots of apps open i can hear the fans just as i pull the power cord in a matter of minutes the fans go down.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I don't understand how you all can answer the OP's question until he reveals:

1.) What apps he uses.
    2.) How long he intends to keep the mac.

Mavrix will never be the magical cure for needing less base memory nor will it future proof "certain" apps 3 or 4 years hence.

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I use a Mac Mini and an rMBP with 16 and a MacBook Air with 8 and I can't say that I run into issues on the MBA.

That said, the memory upgrade is fairly minimal in cost compared to the price of the computer and I consider it a better safe than sorry issue.