rMBP randomly shutting down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 11800506, Apr 27, 2013.

1. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Hey everyone -

I'm an architecture student with a 15" retina Macbook Pro (specs: 2.6 i7, 512 SSD, 16GB RAM) that I bought last August (although it was completely replaced in November for a different issue) that has recently been shutting down randomly on its own. Being the way these things go, it's doing this at precisely the worst time of the year with my final reviews this upcoming week, at a time when I need my computer most to finish my project (the school computers are hard to get a hold of and often significantly slower than mine). It's gotten to the point where it'll shut itself down sometimes every minute or so, making it almost completely unusable.

Here's what happens: I'll be in the middle of doing something on it (or now that think about it, I don't even have to be using it) and the standard shut down dialog box will pop up (as seen on the first screenshot below and no, I'm not accidentally pressing the power button). Then, if I don't select cancel, roughly 10 seconds later it will turn itself off. Curiously enough, if I do select the cancel button, it won't shut down on its own, but more often than not the dialog box will just pop again sometimes almost immediately after I cancel it. If I don't get to the cancel button it time, it just shuts down, which is extremely frustrating.

Now my first thought was that it was overheating and was shutting itself off as designed - but that's not the case as it has shut itself off almost immediately after being turned on. I thought a run away process might be the cause, helping to drive up temps, but it shut itself off right after I took the second screen cap below of Activity Monitor (when the processes were completely normal and it was practically at idle). The temperatures are often times completely normal when it does this too. After doing some research online, I thought it could be because of a bug in the automatic graphics switching (since I was driving an external monitor and running 3D modeling software) but disabling that in System Preferences changed absolutely nothing. I also thought it might be a bug in the 3D modeling software I was using, Rhino, since the Mac version is currently in beta, but it now shuts itself off even when no applications are open so that's not it. My last resort thought was that somehow the power button was stuck in the depressed position (which wouldn't explain it since even after the dialog box pops up, pressing the power button again wouldn't make the computer shut down). So I popped the key off and tried cleaning the mechanism, but as expected, that didn't do anything.

I'm really at a loss of what this could be and I don't have the time to reinstall Mountain Lion to see if it's a software issue. I plan on going to the Apple Store, but I'm in crunch time for my studio project, so I won't have time to do that until after Wednesday and likely not until next weekend. Curiously enough, it doesn't happen when I'm logged into my bootcamp Windows 8 partition which is what lends me to think it could be a software issue, but I can't use Windows for school since I don't have all of the software I need on that side and plus, Windows sucks at dealing with the retina display. It was doing this a few weeks ago, and also started spazzing on its own as if someone was going crazy with multi-touch gestures on the trackpad, but then it reverted to normal and I haven't experienced this since.

Any thoughts on what could be causing it?

Attached Files:

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Perhaps try an SMC reset? Let me know if it helps at all.

3. jbruce2112 macrumors newbie

You could try checking out the kernel error logs in Console to see if that gives you any more info.

I agree that re installing the OS seems promising, since it seems like it might be a software issue.

4. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

My guess is that there is dust under the power button. Pop off the key and clean under it, then put it back. Also update smc and efi.

5. 11800506 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you everyone for responding so quickly!

Ok, so right after the shut down window popped up, it showed these two strings:

11:11:11 PM activateSettings: com.apple.message.domain: come.apple.security.requireAdminPasswordforPrefs

and

11:11:29 PM UserEventAgent: com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.usage.app_active time

Any idea what those might mean? The second one was repeated about 25 times.

Already tried cleaning it before posting and after I just reset the SMC and PRAM it shut itself down again -_-

6. Binomio macrumors member

Seems like a defective power button to me. Not sure if you can disable shutdown by power button like in Mac OSX.

7. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Download and install these, even if they don't fix your problem they are a good idea:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1559
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1619

8. 11800506 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh that's what you were talking about. Sorry, for some reason I thought you were suggesting to reset them. I'm pretty sure I already installed those updates, but I tried again anyways and it said that they were not supported on my system.

9. 11800506 thread starter macrumors 65816

Just in case anyone in the future has the same problem as me, I ended up bringing it to the Genius Bar where they determined that I needed to have the top case and battery replaced, since they think the power button was getting stuck or something like that. Anyways, they replaced those under warranty and it worked perfectly after that... until today that is, when it started freezing on the white bootup screen and being completely unresponsive. I don't think it's a related issue, but I'm going to bring it into the store today and we'll see what they say. :mad:

10. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

top case and the battery? lol isnt that pretty much the whole machine since the battery is glued to the bottom.

11. 11800506 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah haha but that's what they were willing to do.

I ended up bringing it in the other day because of this new issue and the Geniuses had no idea what was causing it. So they were going to replace the logic board and the top case again, and I suggested that while they're at it, they might as well just give me a whole new computer especially since I've had so many issues. So they eventually agreed to order a custom config for me since mine is no longer being made and it was going to take a week to come in, so I asked if it was possible if they would just give me an in stock machine and they agreed! It's even upgraded slightly over my old computer (with a 2.7 i7 instead of 2.6) so I'm super happy! Guess I have to update my signature now haha :D

12. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Wow, seems that for the trouble you went through, you were actually rather lucky! Let's just hope the new one stays working properly this time.