RMBP Redesign

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kushp14, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Kushp14 macrumors regular

Hey, do you guys think the body of the rmbp 13/15 will be changing anytime soon? Since it just out less than a year ago , can we just expect minor spec upgrades like the one recently ? thanks

2. BeeJee macrumors 6502

The classic MBP design has already been out for 5 years, I think it's safe to say that Retinas won't be resigned anytime soon

3. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Beejee is right. However Apple did redesign the 2013 retina's internally in terms of component layout. I can't find it now but they did do some internal changes, nothing though that has an impact on the end user or the exterior look of the Macbook though. I'm not referring to the newer processors but the layout of the actual components.

I really can't see Apple changing the RMBP exterior physical design at all for some time.

4. washburn macrumors 6502

There was a rumour that the next Air and Pro is going to be thinner because new parts allows for thinner keyboard/backlight

I think Apple will redesign for lightness/thin at sooner time frames

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Haswell is suppose to run cooler, but I think Apple more likely to keep the existing excellent design and put in more powerful components than before.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The design before the unibody goes all the way back to 2001. It was used up until late 2008.

The current unibody design dates from 2008.

So no, don't expect a new design for the next 5 years at the very least.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you look at apple's prior history, you'll see they tend to stick with a design for many, many years. Just look at the Mac Pro as evidence - it was first used for the G5.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I saw that article about internal changes to the 2013 models, all it really said for sure is that the SSD and logic boards had different part numbers.

I wouldn't expect any real changes, maybe minor changes to accommodate changes in logic board layout and to improve manufacturing techniques after a year of production experience with the new design.

9. BeeJee macrumors 6502

So you agree.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, I do, I was adding to the quoted post.

11. Kushp14 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah the one before was in 2008, so I don't expect the retinas to change , only for specs updates. The air may change since its body is from 2010. So it is ok to buy a retina now. Just wanted to know your opinions.
    Thanks !

12. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I suspect that they Macbook Air will get a bit of a change based around the Haswell processor but that won't be for awhile yet.

13. robvas macrumors 68020

They make revisions - look at the Air. It changed quite a bit from 2008 to 2010

14. Fissure macrumors 6502

this

it's not gonna change for 3-4 years, probably more

look on each side of your rMBP, at the ports. it can't much thinner without changing out all the port types

my guess, the next MBP will be more of a tablet, iOS and OS X will converge

15. abc123 macrumors 6502

If they can make it lighter/thinner I imagine they will. Though I think they are almost at the limit of thinness due to the ports, as mentioned above.

The design of the Powerbook/MBP hasn't really evolved a great deal over the last 10 years. There are differences in a lot of the details but aesthetically the '03 powerbooks look very much like todays MBP still. If there are any changes to the design I'd expect them to be minimal as the aluminium case has become somewhat an icon of good consumer electronic design.

A couple of years ago (pre 13" MBP) I was using my 12" powerbook in a lecture and one of the students asked me if it was some kind of new apple product ;)

16. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

They might squeeze in a touch panel into the retina.

17. snaky69 macrumors 603

No.