rMBP repair question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Southernboyj, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I have a 15" rMBP I bought back in June. I have recently started to notice image retention on my computer. I checked and it is an LG display.

I don't live near an Apple Store but next month I'll be in Las Vegas for about 5 days and there are plenty of them there.

If I take it to the Genius Bar, will they replace the laptop or just repair it?

Also if I have to ship it to Apple, anyone know about how long it will be before I receive it back?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

They will repair it. Apple used to be extremely generous with replacing products, but it seems rare now unless you hit the 3 repair limit on the same issue. I'd be very surprised if you had to send it to Apple - there should be no reason why it can't be done in store within a couple of days.

3. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I just figured it might take awhile since the display's in the rMBP are part of the backing.

4. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

They will probably run a test, and if it falls within spec they might give you a hard time. Be persistent. I did that last saturday and managed to convince them to replace the screen. If you want a Samsung panel, make sure your work order has part 661-7171 for the LCD Display Clampshell Retina

5. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Give me a hard time for what? I can replicate the image retention easy.

6. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Doesn't matter. They allow a certain amount of image retention. You can test it yourself, the test they run is the following. They display a checkerboard pattern of white and black squares for 3 minutes, then they immediately display a dark grey background for 1 minute. If the checkerboard pattern still appears after that point on your desktop background, or any other background, they will acknowledge there is a problem. If after a full minute of displaying a solid grey background, no image retention is still visible on other backgrounds, then they claim "the unit is within spec" and may refuse a replacement, even though image persistence is still visible. So they key question is though you can reproduce it, how long does it take for the image to disappear? Anything under a minute is ok with them.