rMBP: Repair vs. Replacement for Stcuk Pixel(s)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomiwah, Jul 18, 2012.

1. tomiwah macrumors newbie

I have a ten day old rMBP, so I am still within the replacement period. Yesterday, I noticed a pixel stuck on white close to the center of the screen (may be more than one, as I have not taken out my magnifying glass to check). I ran JScreenFix and did some other things to try to get it unstuck, but not luck.

There are already several posts debating the number of dead pixels that are acceptable on a rMBP, whether they are noticeable in every day use, etc., and I do not want to rehash those. For me, a dead pixel, once noticed, can not be unseen, and even my wife, who claims that I have electronics triggered OCD, can see it.

My question is, am I better off: (1) getting just the screen replaced; or (2) getting another new unit drop-shipped from China once it is manufactured. With option No. 1, I will be without my computer for about a week, which is no big deal since I have not yet sold my mid-2011 MBA that the rMBP is replacing. If I go with option No. 2, Apple can put a CC hold on my account and I can keep the old unit until the new one arrives.

I actually opted with No. 1, but still have time to change my mind. My reasoning is that, other than lag, I am not having any problems that have been reported on these and other forums - e.g., case creaking, overheating, graphics card issues, cosmetic imperfections, etc. If I get just the screen replaced for a dead pixel, I am assuming that some quality control will be performed to make sure that the screen they send back does not have the same issue that it came in with, and I know my machine otherwise performs well. If I get a replacement unit, I might get a perfect machine, or I might get one that has more dead pixels or some other issue.

Just wondering what other people in similar circumstances have done or would do and also wondering whether my expectations of Apple repair, which I have only used once in the past for an easy issue, are too high.

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its within the 14 day window, so you would get a new machine and I'd recommend that in anyways .

3. tomiwah thread starter macrumors newbie

The question is not whether I can get a replacement, as I was told that I can. But I was given two options -- (1) send it in for a new screen on current machine; and (2) get it replaced with an entirely new machine.

I chose Option No. 1 based on the reasoning in my initial post and am just trying to determine, based on input of those who have more experience with AppleCare repairs than I have, whether I should have opted with No. 2. I can still change my mind, as I have not yet sent in my existing machine for repair.

I am assuming that you are one of those people with more experience than me, so perhaps you understood the entire post and were just getting to the bottom line -- i.e., go with option No. 2