rMBP repair woes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Daremo, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I figured I'd vent in a place where like minded people can appreciate my frustration...

I purchased a Retina MBP on day one, stock 2.6 GHz / 8 GB. It has the LG screen but all was fine. Then, out of no where, the image retention started, and very bad. I called Apple Support, they set me up for an appointment to take it in, and they swapped it for me for a brand new machine.

This time, It has the Samsung screen. Flawless, no dead pixels, bright. perfect. I was VERY happy. That was until I plugged in my iPhone, and the left USB port didn't work. Tried my iPad too. iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, and iPad3. Nothing worked. Dead port. I made another appointment the next day. They looked at it, and offered me either another new machine, or a repair. Since I got the screen I was happy with, I chose repair. They ordered the part, and I went home.

2 days later, I went back when the part was in. I waited 2 hours, and off I went home with the port repaired. I was happy... Until I got home and plugged in my power adapter, and no light turned on. It wasn't charging the battery. SO, I made an appointment for later the SAME day.

I went in, they took it in back, and re-seated everything, and it worked. I waited almost another 2 hours, for the second time in one day. We checked every single port on the mac before I left, and everything worked. I was happy... Until I got home and realized the backlit keyboard doesn't work. I never saw it in the brightly lit store, and didn't think to check it. I have yet ANOTHER appointment for tomorrow morning.

My frustration level is through the roof. I didn't want to take the chance of getting another LG screen, so I opted to take repairs on a BRAND new MacBook Retina. In retrospect, I should have chanced a new one, but with my strong of luck, I'd lose the Samsung. Ugh...

Just some advice from me, if you take in a repair, check EVERYTHING before you leave. Every port, power adapter, and backlight. Speakers, fans...

I'm fairly certain something isn't seated properly again. Hopefully tomorrow, this will all be good and fixed.

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'm empathetic to your situation. When I bought my Late '11 15 inch cMBP last November, it suddenly stopped powering on within two weeks of buying it. They just opted to replace the unit, and the period key didn't work on that machine, so I got it repaired.

Finally after all that, my computer has been working for a good solid year. Stick with it, and you'll get a machine that's right. Personally, I seem to be having a lot more problems like this with newer Macs. I've had a mac since a 1998 iMac G3, and until my 2009 13" MacBook Pro, never had to get anything fixed. I think with the increased popularity of Apple, which has led to an increased workload on suppliers, things just aren't as thoroughly checked for defects anymore due to increased production and the time constraints that come with it.

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Sorry for your frustrations. However if you get a replacement machine and everything is good, why does it matter if the screen is made from LG or Samsung? When you go back to the store they will probably offer you a new machine. I would take it if I was you, and if all is good who cares who manufactured the screen.

4. andymac2210 macrumors regular

Seems like Apple's quality control has gone down the crapper lately.

I know people will just reply with old adage that people come here to complain and it's a disproportionate number of bad stories to reality.
    That's partly true, but the very fact this kind of nonsense happens at all is incredible.
    Buying a new Mac is like rolling the dice these days, you may get a perfect one, but you got a real good chance of getting a turkey, or at least one with some defect.

5. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

I didn't care about the screen manufacturer, until I was hit with the image retention, and it seems to only happen with the LG screens. I just don't want that to happen again down the line in 3 months like the first one did.

6. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

I would have given up way before you did. Given up in a way that I would just return in for a refund and wait for the next refresh. For now, I just bought a new base MBA for $999 and will sell it for the same price next year when I get the new rMBP.

7. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

Well, things are good now. It was fixed in minutes. As I suspected, when reassembling the MacBook, the Backlight lead wasn't connected. That was 2 needless repairs, because the tech didn't seat the connections well enough. Hopefully this ends the trouble for me. For my troubles, they gave me a 25$ iTunes gift card, so that was nice.

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

For the cost of Macs, why do you rationalize and condone such sloppy behavior on the behalf of Apple and the subcontractors it chooses to use?

People say Apple's products are of higher quality, which is reflected in the price. At 60~75% profit margins, Apple is not going to hurt (or need to ramp up prices) by being just a little bit more ethical here...

Apple is more popular, they can hire some QC staff... "supply and demand" - Apple is hardly hurting, but it might (unless people continue to give them a free pass, which is - I'm sorry - not deserved...)

They can also not skimp on quality for components, ensure things are built right in the first place... that's why I bought from them originally, and by the looks of things I'm going to be increasingly hard-pressed to support this company if these sorts of issues continue.

Apple is hardly powerless, but right now it's acting as if Charlie Sheen is running the joint. "I've got your money now". Well, Apple hasn't devolved to quite that level yet...

----------

Agreed. For the price, there should be few nitpicks. And nary a major problem.

9. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

^ I agree, and by no means was I trying to justify it, just explain my opinion on why I think it's happening. I really do think Apple needs some sort of quality control mechanism in place. I'm not sure what they have, but my best guess is how some companies do it... there's a batch of computers made, and for every batch a computer is pulled off of assembly and tested further. However with all the problems they've been having, I'd be perfectly OK if a computer I had was used for 20 minutes or so before it was packaged. It might be delivered to me with a cycle count on the battery, but at least I'd have the peace of mind that an actual human being used it and tested it to ensure it was working how it was supposed to when it left the factory.
    I know we only see the negatives here on the forum for the most part. But my personal experience has reflected that of which I've seen here. Every new Mac Laptop I've purchased since around 2008 or so has required one or more repairs, and the worst I've had was my Mid 2010 15" that required 5, and was eventually replaced. I'm not abusive to my computers, and I do realize things happen, but they should be able to stand up to 7 or so hours of use every day without overheating and basically desoldering the onboard graphics from the logic board, as was the case of my 2010 15".

10. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I've had my RMBP with an LG screen since launch... no problems here. I'd get a new computer if I was you.. that one is plagued with problems. You want the Samsung screen so bad that you'll be taking many more problems instead.

11. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

I did get a new machine, replacing the LG screen, and the USB port needed replacing. The rest of the issues were human error from the Apple techs, who weren't putting it together properly, leaving things disconnected or poorly seated. Right now, it's perfect, and I do have 3 years on Apple Care, so at the very least, I have peace of mind for a few years.

12. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

words go around on the net causes major paranoia

a problem is a problem for sure.
    :apple: probably just takes back all the returned units and cleans the computers, makes it fresh again to go back into the inventory cycle for resale.
    there should be so many refurbs already of the 15" retina macbook by now. so that means they are just cleaning it up repackaging them with new shipping stickers. so the problem unit i returned is now a problem somewhere else in the world. how else would a huge brand stay alive as they have if that wasn't what was going on really?