rMBP Replacement for IR - Worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by williamparky, Sep 10, 2012.

1. williamparky, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

williamparky macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2012
    I have a dilema. I have a rMBP with an LG screen and a fair amount of IR. Although it is only noticeable when switching to a dark grey background. However I am wondering whether to bother getting a replacement unit.

What is the guarantee that the same problem wont crop up on the new unit? How do they handle the transfer of data from old to new unit? I need my machine for work and am wondering what the general time frame for getting a replacement?

I would really appreciate some advice on this.
  2. leman macrumors G3

Oct 14, 2008
    Well, there is no guarantee. It seems that only a small fraction of the machines are plagued by these problems, but there is still a chance that you will get a lemon again. Data transfer is easy if you have a Time Machine backup. The time frame is the same as ordering a new one (because this is what technically happens). You can also push Apple into giving you a discount for your trouble or something like that.

Anyway, if your machine is defective, I would return it. If you got it in the store, you can actually go there and they will probably give you a new machine. For someone like me, it would be more problematical, because I need an US keyboard and stores only have the Swiss German one (which is crap).
  3. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Bottom line is if you're not happy about it, then exchange it, if for no other reason then peace of mind.