rMBP replacement process?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by armistice, Jul 27, 2012.

  1. armistice macrumors newbie

    Jul 7, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've started having rather significant ghosting issues and I definitely want to exchange my rMBP (I received it on 7/18 and it's now 7/27, so I'm well within the 14-day grace period)

    I was on the phone with Apple Support earlier and the guy started talking about repairs, but I've seen a number of people on here mention that they had ghosting issues and just replaced theirs.

    My question is, what's the replacement process like? How do I know if I qualify for a replacement instead of a repair? And as a buyer, what are my "rights"? What can I demand?

    I'm currently in school (I have a week off in between summer and fall semesters)- I need my computer (graphic design/photography program). Clearly this issue isn't because of anything I've done- they just sent me a faulty computer. I'm not wigged out over that- stuff happens, I get it- but that being said, I don't believe I should have to go without a computer because of THEIR issue.

    tl;dr: I guess my main question- if I'm experiencing ghosting issues on a BTO model, what are my options? Will I be taken seriously if I tell them I think I should be allowed to keep my current rMBP until my replacement arrives, even if the guy pushes the idea of a repair? Like...the computer is a week old- am I totally insane for thinking that I shouldn't have to be without it for a week or two while they "repair" it? :confused:
  2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a


    Mar 28, 2008
    Palo Alto, CA
    If they repair your computer, you will be out a computer for a few days.

    If they replace your computer, you have two options. You either hold on to your computer while they ship you a new one (they'll charge your credit card for the price of the new one, then return you the money once you send yours back), or you mail your computer in, then wait for your new order to arrive.

    If you're thinking of the second option, I would recommend just returning it to a store. You can order a new one (since there is no difference). Going through them just adds extra processing (with AppleCare, Apple Customer Relations, etc.).
  3. macbook123 macrumors 68000

    Feb 11, 2006
    I actually have a related question and apologize in advance for partially hijacking your thread: I decided that I want to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM and placed an order a few days ago. It should arrive within 10 days but my 14 day period will be over tomorrow. Do you think Apple will allow me to return after the 14 day period given that I purchased an upgrade replacement?
  4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Oct 31, 2006
    No, return it before the window ends.
  5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816


    Apr 25, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I think your biggest issue is going to be that you have a BTO model. It's easy to just flat out replace the computer, especially when you're in the 14-day window, when you buy a stock model because they have replacements lying around.

    That being said, it couldn't hurt to ask for a replacement, but I think it's not going to be the easiest thing in the world to get them to let you hold on to it while another one is shipped to you (you'll at least have to put down a credit card which, if not charged immediately, will be charged if you don't return the old one in a certain window).

    That said, have you received an actual repair timeframe estimate? The Apple store near me does repairs in-house (or at least used to) and would always give me a 3-5 day window. However, without fail, I would receive a call the next day to come pick up my computer.
  6. macbook123 macrumors 68000

    Feb 11, 2006
    Just called the Apple Store and asked for their take and the guy said it will not be a problem (he even vouched with his name for it). It seems obvious to them that it makes no sense for both parties to have the customer go through a second interim RMBP while I'm waiting for the (third) BTO one I ordered.
  7. Textureboy macrumors 6502


    Jul 25, 2012
    What happens if your replacement model is worse then your original, do you keep the original and return the replacement?
  8. iapplelove macrumors 601


    Nov 22, 2011
    East Coast USA
    The original one is gone. At this point your swapping out the replacements

Share This Page