rMBP Running Cloned Windows Install from a PC

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by WRB BRZ, Jan 4, 2016.

1. WRB BRZ macrumors newbie

I cloned my PC's SSD with contains an installed running copy of Windows 10 onto a separate SSD. I placed this separate ssd into an USB 3 external enclosure and plugged it into my rMBP 14. By holding down option during the boot process, I can boot into Windows on the external drive. I installed bootcamp drivers and everything seems to run fine.

Has anyone else tried using this process to get Windows onto their Mac? Any problems down the road?

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

I tried it out of curiosity to see if it would work and it did but never used it long term. I just Bootcamp into Windows when I need to.

3. Gogol macrumors member

Normally this wouldn't work I guess because of the totally different hardware. How did activation work?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I tried it years ago, and it never worked, Perhaps the technology has changed sufficiently to allow that, but I kind of doubt it.

5. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

My clone was of my Bootcamp install. I haven't tried a clone from a different machine.

6. Gogol macrumors member

That is not what I understood from your first post! There you stated that you cloned from a PC SSD.

7. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku