rMBP running hotter since 10.8.4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dastinger, Jun 7, 2013.

1. dastinger, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013

dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Hi,

Since I updated to 10.8.4 that my rMBP is running at constant 70ºC+ while browsing and downloading only. And temps are always going up and down.

I use Chrome Canary and, while watching a live stream, for example, the temps go as high as 95ºC. This never happened. What do you advise me to do?

Here's a screen of my Activity Monitor:

[​IMG]

What's that kernel task that seems to be taking up a lot of memory and CPU?

--EDIT--

Right now, playing a Flash based game with Chrome Canary, my rMBP is running at 100ºC.

[​IMG]

This is happening with Chrome built-in flash player. If I disable it, temps are not as high but not normal-low either.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Just did, same thing. Watching a video on YouTube makes the CPU go as high as 95ºC :confused:

4. maxosx macrumors 68020

You may want to make a Genius Bar appointment. My 15" mid 2012 MBPr is running at the exact same temps after installing 10.8.4 as it did on 10.8.3. I know this because I push it hard due to the nature of my work.

We have 12 others in the lab at work that are fine as well. In addition we're running Canary, using its flash without a problem.
    Good luck.

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The KernelTask is so large because you have third party software with kernel sharing enabled which use CPU and memory. Little Snitch is one.

6. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I would gladly go to a genius bar but there are no Apple Stores in Portugal. I can only go to an authorized support center and hope they know what they're doing. I'm not sure that the issue is with OS X or the MBP though. Maybe it really is Flash that is just acting up. As always...

----------

Yeh, probably it was always like that. I only noticed it now because I was looking for what could be causing the temperatures to rise this much :/

7. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Btw, what do you guys think is the best tool for temperatures reading on a rMBP? I think that iStat can't be far from the truth since the rMBP is really hot to touch when it says it's hot but I would like to make sure.

8. Doward macrumors 6502a

smcFanControl displays the temperature as well.

9. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I have tried many apps and below is what i have found to be best, unless I am digging into a system UltraFan is the one to use, monitors CPU temp and can make a big difference in keeping a Mac portable cooler once set up.

• UltraFan; Best OS X temperature control app by a wide margin.
    • +1 SMC Fan Control; Super stable well developed.
    • For the real details Bresink`s Temperature Monitor; Ideal for troubleshooting, probably overkill for daily quick reference.
    • iStat Menu: Update for IVB, many speak highly, iStat Pro is not compatible with IVB without some internal editing of the app.

I also believe that Temperature Gauge on the Mac App store is another excellent temp monitor, similar to Bresink, only it picks up a few more sensors, equally it will cost a couple of $.

Monitoring temperature & fan RPM`s is useful when trying to determine if you can reduce the systems over temperature, after this point just eye-candy and to some nothing more than clutter...

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not noticed any increase in temps on my rMBP since going to 10.8.4. Its been rock solid. I can't answer why you're seeing it though :confused:

12. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Thanks a lot, mate. Could you share your Ultrafan setup or do you think that varies from rMBP to rMBP?

It is probably a defective Flash version. But, even if it was, I don't see why other people are not experiencing the issue.

13. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I see no temperature increase with 10.8.4. Runs exactly the same.

14. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I am probably taking this to an authorized repair center. It's not, at all, normal that my rMBP, right now, is running at a constant 80ºC without anything running but Chrome, SABNZBd and Transmission.

15. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Have any flash videos or programs running in Chrome? That will do it.

16. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

No. And I'm glad you pointed that out. I tried to leave only tabs that have no Flash whatsoever and the temps keep on being high. I am trying Safari now and temps drop 10 to 15ºC after I close Chrome. And, as soon as I reopen it, temps rise up to exactly 10 to 15ºC again. But instantly. There's something really wrong with this Chrome Canary version. I'll keep on using Safari until a new version is out.

Right now I have the exact same number of tabs with the same webpages open on Safari and the rMBP is running at 50 to 55ºC. Huge difference. I'll be reapplying thermal paste anyway because I am looking to really improve the temps.. not that I am totally concerned about it but, if I may do it, why not? At least, that way, when crazy things like this happen, the temps won't be so damn high.

Thanks to all of you who tried to help and gave your advice :)

17. Eriksrocks macrumors member

Why are you using Canary? It's known to be an alpha-like development build, it wouldn't surprise me if it had issues with GPU/CPU utilization.

If you want to use Chrome, I would suggest changing to the stable or beta channels and see if that helps anything.

18. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I can't really recall why I am using Chrome Canary right now. I was using Chrome's dev channel but changed to Canary for some reason. Tried stable on the way but the issues I had kept on existing. I can't remember right now but I know it was something important.

19. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Ok I tried Chrome Beta and now am with regular Chrome. The temps are not as high as with Canary but not as low as with Safari.

The issues start when I use Flash. Under Safari, flash apps like any game will run really sluggishly ruining the experience. The temps rise a bit but not as much as with Chrome.

Now, with Chrome, as soon as I run a 1080p video or any flash game for some time, the temps go as high as 100ºC+. With ANY Chrome version.. I tried disabling Pepperflash that is known for causing problems but same happens. I don't know what's wrong and I'd be way more relaxed if people said that they were having the same issue with Flash.

20. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Well, I don't use flash so I can't tell you. ;)

But it doesn't sound like a hardware problem. Sounds like software and you've isolated it to Chrome. Sounds like something is causing the GPU to be used and causing your heat.

21. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Yeh, the issue is definitely with software. I ran an extensive hardware test just for the sake of it and it passed. I'll try forcing the HD4000 to be used and will report if it helps with the heat.

Thanks

22. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Ok, so I forced the HD4000 and the temps go as high as 85ºC but don't go pass that which is a 20ºC improvement. The issue is definitely with Chrome forcing the 650M as soon as it opens and when it uses flash the temps get worse. I don't know if this is normal behaviour for Chrome but, for now, I'll keep on forcing the HD4000. I don't play under OSX so it's all good.

Thanks a lot for the integrated card tip. Would never have thought about that.

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Sure I set my 15" Retina to 65C and let UltraFan do the rest. A range of 60C - 70C is a good start point, Apple`s own cooling plan generally spools up the fans 90C>, so any setting lower will have an impact, obvious trade off is noise intrusion, albeit highly dependent on you workflow, apps, system load etc..

24. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

I have the exact same issue when using chrome. When I play a few 1080p vids they shoot up to between 98-105C. When I play 4k vids, it stays in the 100-105C. Scary so I just try to stick to safari, as it usually never close to temps with the same vids. I may repaste too, just have to grow some balls to do it.

25. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Thanks a lot, mate. Just did that and will see how it works for me.

Nice to know I'm not the only one. I am 100% sure that Chrome forces the 650M and that's the starting point for temperatures to rise. Now I just force the HD4000 whenever I'm using the rMBP. I don't really need the 650M for now unless I'm under Windows so I get less heat and more battery time :)