RMBP running quite hot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laff555, Jun 17, 2012.

1. laff555 macrumors newbie

I've noticed that the cpu of the RMBP runs quite hot. I've seen it run around 86c for a second or two, then taper down to around 70ish C.
    I encounter this while browsing the web and other simple task (such as using ichat, mail, etc).
    I usually see it spike this high when I'm using the intel integrated graphics. Not sure if this is the cause of it spike that high.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has the same experience with their RMBP.

2. Acidsplat macrumors regular

I only get it to run hot when using Final Cut Pro X. Everything else for me runs cooler than any other laptop I've used.

3. laff555 thread starter macrumors newbie

how hot are we talking about?

4. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Hey. I plan on using FCPX on the retina mac when I buy one. How is FCP performance on it? Everything work okay? also, is the heat tolerable? Fan noise? Details please.

5. Haarith :) macrumors member

Here are my worst fears the retina macbook pro getting hot due to browsing on the web :(

6. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

Im betting on fan profiles for the temps.

this is a notorious mac thing

7. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

I don't think 86 is so hot

My late 2011 MBP hits 96 if I'm running CPU intensive stuff

8. Acidsplat macrumors regular

What I mean is when encoding in Final Cut Pro X has been the only app to get my fans going, which is true on any Mac. Sorry, I didn't mean it's getting overly hot. Performance is great.

I've played Skyrim on Ultra settings on Windows for over an hour, and I could still press my hand on the bottom of the laptop without burning it. It vents air VERY well.

9. egraphixstudios macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

Are these temps your all giving in degrees Celsius or degrees Fahrenheit ?

10. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

This is really interesting to hear.

I'm very much considering buying an rMBP, and my biggest concern was heat.

Looks like the cooling was very well done, even though the rMBP is so thin.

11. Acidsplat macrumors regular

I'd go a step further and say the rMBP cooling is even better than the previous generation. :) The rMBP actually pulls in cool air that work in tandem with the dual fans, which push the air through the back.
    On the previous generation, all you had were two fans in a much more crowded space with the optical drive and all.

12. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

If the CPU was sitting in mid 20s Celsius, Apple would have created an amazing cooling solution equalling water cooling of desktops ;)

----------

If your just browsing the web, you have an issue with the hardware. Those temps are too high.

Are you by chance playing videos? Could be that the onboard GPU is trying to play them, and frankly it could be struggling at those resolutions? just an idea.

Download handbreak and encode a video file

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

This will give you an indicator what happens when the CPU is pushed.

13. Acidsplat macrumors regular

I've been playing 1080p YouTube flash videos all day and they haven't triggered the 650m...

14. The "Dude" macrumors regular

Off topic, but I've been searching everywhere for evidence of how Skyrim would run on this thing. Were you really able to run on Ultra settings? How is performance otherwise?

15. Acidsplat macrumors regular

I was able to run it in 1920x1200 resolution on Ultra, the only thing I changed was the filtering. All the other things such as textures, view distances, etc were set to their max. I think the filtering is kinda pointless because of how many pixels there are. It's beautiful on this screen.

16. portishead macrumors 65816

Just install a fan control app and keep the fans running at 3k rpm or something. Easily cools down the RMBP for me.

17. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

And air intake and exhaust was too close together, so I hear.

18. Haarith :) macrumors member

My retina macbook pro just arrived movies and youtube at 1080p are running great and beautiful i actually dont even notice heat, im gnna try an intensive flash application like skype

19. bryne macrumors member

bryne

This isn't "quite hot". It's not even very hot for a MBP. Don't freak out before you do a little research.

20. strrts macrumors newbie

When it does get hot, what's the fan noise like? For that matter, what's the fan noise like when it isn't hot? This issue is probably the only thing that's keeping me from buying one right now. The reviews are mixed - some people say the rMBP is dead-silent, even under load, others say that it's just as loud as the previous gen MBP, the sounds is just different.

For comparison, I plug an i5 1.7Ghz MacBook Air into a Thunderbolt Display and work in Xcode all day. It sounds like a wind tunnel. It's just too loud.

If the rMBP can alleviate the fan noise issues, I'll be really happy. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

21. The "Dude" macrumors regular

I creamed myself. I can't wait to get this thing in the mail. Agh!

22. punkromance macrumors member

Be aware that Skyrim's performance is affected more by the CPU than the GPU.
    My friend with an old C2D and a fancy GPU can play Battlefield 3 at 2560x1440 with everything on Ultra and get 60fps but only gets 30fps on Skyrim at Medium.

Also, OP. My late '11 15" MBP runs at 98ºC the moment I do anything. If I play a game/edit photos/videos, it stays at 98 until I stop.

23. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon