rMBP saving battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swish2351, Aug 27, 2013.

1. swish2351 macrumors 6502

I was wondering, I don't really need the retina screen at all, if I turned the display resolution down to just normal resolution, would that save battery life?

2. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Hmm

I don't really think so. It's not shutting off pixels, it's just doing doubling magic to make them APPEAR larger.

3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

First, you can't actually change the resolution, only the scale, at least in OS X.

Second, the power consumption is due to the brighter backlight necessary to illuminate the denser pixel array, not due to the pixels themselves.

4. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I watched a youtube video of a reviewer who complained about the lag on the retina model. He side loaded an application that actually allowed him to change the resolution to the normal 1400x900 resolution and said it eliminated the lag altogether. It's system optimization that creates the lag, but I don't think that would help with battery life. Maybe by 5-10% max.

5. swish2351 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As already stated, it won't help. If you're looking for battery-saving ideas, there are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.