rMBP Sceen chipping little holes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badcrc32, Jul 7, 2013.

1. badcrc32 macrumors regular

Guys-

I got a 15 inch rMBP for some reason the screen has little holes I notices 1st one a month ago, I thought it was a dead pixel however when i put my finger over it i could feel the chip. Now I noticed two more. What could possibly be causing this I dont use anything like keyboard protector etc.

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

How do you use your Macbook? Is it at home? Do you take it to work? We need a bit more info. Because screens randomly don't chip. At least that I have ever seen.

3. jbud72 macrumors member

Wow I thought this was just an isolated thing that happened to my screen. I also inexplicably have a chip like you are describing. Literally opened my computer one day and it was there.

I take very good care of my computer/screen. I take my computer with my to school every day in a sleeve, in a backpack. I barely let dust get on my screen so it's mysterious as to how I got this chip. I guess maybe some sort of particle lodged itself in between the screen and body?

4. falconeight Guest

falconeight

5. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

This isn't chipping. These are holes in the display! I just had mine repaired for this problem. Basically there's something that happens with pixels exploding in the display that causes these holes. Definitely take it in and get it replaced and pray it doesn't keep happening. If you look up exploding pixels on here you'll find this problem talked about. There are a number of threads on the topic. I'm about to post one on my experience.

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Can someone post a picture? I don't see how nonvolatile LCD cells could be "exploding."

7. angelus01 macrumors newbie

8. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

overheating perhaps....just like lightbulbs....

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

LCD displays put out essentially no heat at all. If a monitor heats up it's because of its backlight. No MacBooks Apple's ever made has put out any appreciable amount of heat from the display assembly.

And lightbulbs 1) are completely different from LCD displays 2) don't overheat.

10. djrm macrumors 6502

djrm

Will confirm this too! Samsung screen.

Had about 7 of them when Apple replaced my screen. Couldn't believe it, thought they were just dead pixels until the Genius held the laptop so the light above would cause a glare on the screen then clear as day at the right angle you could see all the pot marks over the glass.

Exploding pixels! He said its getting more and more common but only on rMBP

11. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

Hes right

Guys-

"This isn't chipping. These are holes in the display! I just had mine repaired for this problem. Basically there's something that happens with pixels exploding in the display that causes these holes. Definitely take it in and get it replaced and pray it doesn't keep happening. If you look up exploding pixels on here you'll find this problem talked about. There are a number of threads on the topic. I'm about to post one on my experience."

the man is right. I read about this. I take my rMBP with me all over in a bag. I read about this last night. That is why it looks like a pixel in size it is. I will get it fixed when I am in NY.

12. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Any way you can post a close up shot of this. Mine is now repaired and I didn't photograph it. Pretty crazy. Dead pixels is one thing, holes in the display is another.