rMBP screen burn in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by D1G1T4L, Oct 22, 2012.

1. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Ok had my rMBP for a couple weeks now and saw the image retention threads. Well I put the gray background and then did autohide the dock and well didn't even really have to test. My dock is pretty clearly still easily seen after it hides. Well made an appointment to get it looked at the genius bar. Well my real question is if they replace my notebook will they transfer everything over to my new one? Never had an issue with any of my macbooks so this is new to me :eek:

2. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

This question can only be answered by Apple. They might swap your entire machine for a new one; Apple is very clear about backing up your data before a repair. Then again, they could swap you into a new machine and only trade out the SSD. It's at their discretion.

3. D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

They can trade out the SSD? I thought that wasn't upgradable in the rMBP. Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

Hopefully they can just swap out the SSD as I really don't have a good way to make a mirror image of my hard drive right now.

4. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

They will only swap out the screen if you're past the 14 day buyer's remorse time.

Contrary popular belief, rMBP SSD is swappable. However, Geniuses would not do that as it would be too much work for them and their thinking that the machine is not very serviceable.

Take it in! IR that pronounced is definitely not normal.

5. D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Well that also works for me. Just doing a screen swap is perfect.

6. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

They may say that it's normal. Tell them it's not, show them difference between LG and Samsung screens and ask for a manger if necessary.

If that won't work, you can always call Apple Care, explain poor service at the store, and send it in to Apple to get the screen replaced.

7. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

If that's the case, just try going through the mail-in service first.

8. D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Well good news. They replaced my MBPr with real no major issues. Moved all my data over to the new one and was good to go. Another reason I stay with Apple.

9. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Until you see IR on your NEW rMBP.....

10. iPersian macrumors regular

if i were you i would return the mac and wait until next revision like i did.

if you get a LG that means almost 100% faulty display, if you get a sammy which is much better, then you have a good screen that may have dead pixels and horrible colors.

11. D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Not really an option. I needed a new laptop and have been VERY pleased with my purchase so far. The screen wasn't a huge issue and they took care of it and I'm happy. So no problems here :D