rMBP Screen burn in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trey M, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I know that the ghosting or screen burn-in has been a common problem among LG panel rMBP's, but until recently I hadn't noticed it. Now that I do, however, it really is starting to become noticable. Seeing that I've had my laptop for ~6-8 months now, how would Apple handle this? Would they just try to replace the panel or replace the whole laptop or what?

2. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

More than likely they'll just replace the panel so I would give them a call and let them know.

3. trombo22 macrumors member

Same thing happened to me, ~6 months after was the first I noticed it, I booked appointment stating burn in, I brought it in and they run a 4 minute test from their diagnostics server. If its there they will order a screen and replace the screen only. I left mine overnight and was ready the next day. Easiest repairs I have ever done.

Also check your work order, 661-7171 part number is a samsung only number.

4. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I hope I could request a Samsung panel as a replacement. How difficult is it for the screen to be reinstalled? If it's something that'd require a lot of disassembly inside the computer I'd rather just not bother with the whole thing. I don't like the idea of the Genius bar messing around in my computer- in the past I've had problems later down the road because of a poor repair job or something becoming loose due to the repair. If only I had just received a Samsung panel my first try buying the thing...damn

5. anarti macrumors regular

it took 2 days at apple store to replace the screen. I got samsung after that.

asking for samsung wouldn't work, they will tell you that they can't request specific lcd manufacturer.

My Samsung had a little burn in as well, after keeping skype window on screen for 15 minutes. Couldn't believe that.

The thing is, we are covered by warranty and apple care. If it goes bad, they will replace it.

I'm enjoying my rMBP and like it more every day.