rmbp screen calibration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gbit, Oct 13, 2012.

1. gbit macrumors member

hi
    i do not understand anything of screen calibration
    those of you who did can you supply the file?
    in my case its the samsung version but im sure some people are interested in the lg as well

2. PerformaGuy macrumors member

PerformaGuy

You need a calibrator like the Spyder from Datacolor or Huey from Pantone.
    These are devices you stick on your screen that let the computer know what color it is showing vs what it thinks it is showing. It creates a new custom color profile for your display.

3. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Or better yet, the i1display pro (also called i1d3), from X-Rite. Spyder products have been sub par for quite some time (although the 4 is alright).

I would highly recommend no matter what colorimeter you get, do not use the included software, and use ColorBasic 5. Much more options, and does a better job. It is free for 14-days.

Once Spectracal releases CalPC for Mac, that will be the way to go. Freaking amazing software.

I have a couple of profiles that I created last week when I got my rMBP (Samsung) screen that I will post shortly. One is a L* (this is what I use for everyday), and one is sRGB.

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Brands aside you need a colorimeter that supports LED backlighting. Huey/ i1 D2 does not support this. Spyder 4 and i1 Display Pro and new Colormunki only.

5. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

i1d2 actually does. But to be honest (and I am being lazy), it may only be on the PC side with Spectracal CalPC/Calman.

Wouldn't suggest buying it, as there are better options now.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I have a D2. I use it on my CCFL IPS desktops. It is great. It has historically given me terrible LED results. Unusable actually. Over does the red to make up for all that green. I have a Spyder 3 that does a terrible job on LED as well (Glossy and Matte). I have not tried the new kit personally as I stopped caring about color on my Macbook glossy screen. I have to think they have improved. The specs say they have.
    OP: Apples default profile is really quite good and pretty close to what you would want in a profile. If you need absolute accuracy then buy a Colorimeter.

7. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

On my Samsung rMBP the default profile was decent, may even call it good. On my late 2011 AG MBP the default profile was horrible.

I would never use or recommend a i1d2 (or any other colorimeter other than a i1d3) again.

The reason being is that they are not sealed. And WILL drift out of spec, even far out of spec. Any calibration done with a i1d2/Spyder/Huey, I do not trust as accurate. One thing to remember is you start counting how old the meter is, from when it was made, not when you opened the box.

Most of the time one doesn't even know the meter has drifted. The end user is trusting the meter/software, but in reality the profile is off.