rMBP Screen check while buying from Apple Retail

Kuray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
I'm planning to buy rMBP.
As for as I read, Samsung ones are better than LG ones.

Can I check rMBP while buying it at Apple Retail Store?

Can we understand it from serial number?

Thanks

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
there's no way to tell without turning the computer on and running the terminal command.

although I guess you could take the computer apart and discern screen vendor via that method.

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Canada / London, UK
Are you planning on exchanging it if it's an LG panel right there in the store?

If so, what if the next one is an LG panel? and the next? and so forth?

I have an LG panel and it's great.

Kuray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
If there was, I would try my best to get Samsung.

I'm living in Turkey and there is no way that I can turn it back to the US, if there is a problem with it.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
The screen stuff is completely overblown. Just buy the machine if you want it and you'll be happy.

entraik

Suspended
Jan 22, 2009
there's no way to tell without turning the computer on and running the terminal command.

although I guess you could take the computer apart and discern screen vendor via that method.
love your tunes! :D

Quick question, are you using FL Studio on your macbook pro?

Last edited:

Robin Chung

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
Netherlands
I feel extremely fortunate that my replacement model is a Samsung. It's more color uniform and minimal (no) light bleed, only had it for a few minutes in daylight so can't say for certain though. The LG had a purple hue on two corners.

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Did you guys all just recently order it? :O Maybe the defected models were the early batches

Nozuka

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2012
Never checked which panel is in mine, but my screen is perfect.
Guess i'll check that tonight. Hopefully its an LG, so i can give this one some praise too. :p

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Why not worry about it, and just buy it. If the screen is not to your liking exchange it then. I wouldn't worry about the manufacturer but the screen quality. There are plenty of posts here where owners have perfect screens even though the maker is LG