rMBP screen covered in hairline scratches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cliky, May 9, 2015.

1. Cliky macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

While I was cleaning my Macbook Pro retina (2012 model) earlier, I put it under a flashlight since I couldn't get a mark off.

By doing so, I noticed that my screen had thousands of hairline scratches, that are only visible in direct light. I had seen two or three of them before, under natural light, but I never thought it was that bad. The screen is literally covered in them.

I haven't been exactly babying my macbook, but I haven't abused it either. I only touched the screen to clean it with a damp cloth. How these scratches got there is beyond me.

I'm uploading the best photo I could get, but it's not accurate. The scratches look worse IRL.

So, does anyone else have this problem? Does it/would it bother you? How much would Apple charge me to replace the screen? Not sure it's worth it!

Attached Files:

2. Roblez macrumors newbie

Have these on all my devices. No big deal. In fact, everyone has them except those who are covering them (which looks worse than the scratches) or lying/don't know about them.
    Personally, I still sell my devices with hairline scratches as pristine condition. No one has ever used a flashlight to look for them during a sale, and most people will never see them. Theyre normal as far as screens go.

3. Cliky thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, I'm probably not going to replace the screen for that! I was asking out of curiosity and wanting to know I'm not the only one.

Actually, I just examined my father's cMBP, and while it has 2 or 3 hairline scratches, it's not nearly as bad as my laptop (and his is older). Is the retina screen more prone to scratching? It feels quite plasticky to be honest.

I really have no idea how the scratches could have gotten there. I understand on iPhones and iPads, because you touch them, but I've never touched my macbook's screen!

Also, I think you shouldn't sell devices with micro scratches claiming they're in pristine condition. I would assume pristine = it's been protected the whole time. I know many would be too shy to pull out a flashlight when buying a device, but wouldn't feel good about getting one with scratches when it's been advertised as like new.

4. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

It is not "normal". While it may be common due to materials used to clean, it is not "normal". Are you aware of swirls marks on cars (google it if not), same exact thing, common but not "normal".

I do not have one mark on my 2012 rMPB

I am 90% sure I can tell you what caused this. Whatever cloth/s you were using. And yes this all might sound a little extreme, it just sucks that all microfiber cloths are not created equal.

The VAST majority of microfiber cloths you find in stores, local auto part shops etc.... Do in fact scratch. Don't believe me? Grab one of your towels, and a blank burnable cd. Now run the cloth on the burn side, then look at the disc at different angles, with decent lighting in the room. If you see tiny scratches don't use it on things you care about.

Auto-geek or even Amazon is a great place to buy Mircofiber. Pretty much everything from Autogeek will be fine, and Amazin sells a Chemical Bros. which I bought in my last round and are fantastic.

And no way a screen like that should be sold as pristine. If I bought a laptop on eBay listed as pristine or did not point out ty damage to the screen it would be going back, fialing a paypal claim etc.

And sorry there is nothing you can do to fix it other than replacing the screen. Do not use any type of scratch remover.

5. Yaket macrumors newbie

You would go through all this hassle because a used product was sold with micro scratches you couldn't see? Come on. If you buy a used product, you get a price drop in exchange of some form of imperfections compared to new.

If a used laptop has no visible scratches under normal usage, it is pristine (and better looking than most), but still used. Likewise, if it is 100% functional, it will still be a bit slower than a new one, even though it is advertised as perfect.

Hairline scratches are NO big deal and happen with use. Actually, as said before, it happens to basically everyone that uses their product naked (except you of course).

6. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

A dry cloth will inevitably scratch. It might have water deposits or dust on it. Most people don't use them just once.

The other possibility is the keyboard is scratching it. Mine leaves marks all over the screen from skin oil but it comes off.

As Apple recommends, use a soft cloth dampened with water only. I think that will minimize this sort of thing by lifting the dirt into the cloth fibers and providing some lubrication.