rMBP Screen Dots- "Dead Pixels" ? What to do.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Death-T, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Death-T, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

Death-T macrumors regular

Death-T

Hey! I bought a new retina MacBook Pro about two months ago. I'm just now getting around to asking about this (I first noticed the issue about a week after buying), but there are numerous dots on my rMBP's screen. They don't appear when the computer is asleep or turned off, but they do whenever it's on. They're most noticeable against black colors.

Here's a picture.

[​IMG]

I did some Googling and found out that they're probably 'dead pixels'. I counted seven very noticeable dots on my screen, and there are 10 total. (there are a few more smaller dots which I might not have noticed had the other ones not been glaring me in the face) While they're most noticeable against black backgrounds, you can often clearly see them whether you're web browsing, checking your email, editing some photos, playing games, etc.

Will Apple repair this under my warranty? If not my regular warranty, would it be taken care of under Apple Care? I know I probably should have done something about this earlier, but I didn't. :confused: I would have taken it back to the Apple store within two weeks of purchase, but I bought it at an Apple Store in Greenville, SC right before I started college in Savannah so I didn't have much of an opportunity.

So after noticing this issue for too long and doing a bit of research I thought I would come here for some opinions. If Apple won't take care of this for free or at a greatly reduced price then I shudder to think what they would charge me for a screen replacement for one of these things... And it's their fault! :(

I wouldn't care about this so much if there weren't so many of these things on my screen, and for a $2,800 computer I think I have a right to be just a little picky.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I think that they would give you a return, I think it might have to be over a certain number though. I would guess that as long as you can show them in the apple store you're in with a good chance.

3. Death-T thread starter macrumors regular

Death-T

Ah, good stuff! There are a decent few on the screen, so hopefully they can do something about it. Sorry for the unbearably large photos by the way, I'm about to make them a bit smaller lol.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I would just leave the photos, means we can see the dead ones. You could just have one though, the clearest.

edit: only need picture 4

5. Death-T, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

Death-T thread starter macrumors regular

Death-T

Oh alright. I just thought I'd be thorough, but I went ahead and removed the excess stuff for the sake of simplicity.

Anyway, will I need to return it to the Apple Store in Greenville where I bought it from, or will any store do? I will be visiting my family and friends in Augusta soon and there's an Apple Store there so that would be ideal.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

They won't replace it straight away.

They will attempt to repair it at first (in this case by replacing the display panel) and if the repairs are unsuccessful after x amount (supposedly 3, people have been through more) of attempts, they will likely replace it with a new unit.

7. Death-T thread starter macrumors regular

Death-T

Gotchya. I don't suppose you have any idea how long these repairs usually take? I'll be in town where an Apple Store is located for about five days. I suppose I might have to ask my parents to pick the laptop up and hold on to it for a little while, which isn't too big a deal. I honestly don't care what they do so long as the problem is taken care of, though the prospect of a replacement sounds nice too. :p If they were to offer me a replacement though would it be a new one or a refurb? (do they already have stocked refurbs for this laptop?) Not that I necessarily feel entitled to a new replacement if they go that route, but I'd hate to go through the trouble only to get something with some other problem.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I would drop it off at your local store instead of trying to squeeze it in at another location and then pick it up whenever it is convenient for you. How long it will take depends on several factors such as how busy it is, whatever they have to replace, etc.

The replacements are new units.

9. Death-T thread starter macrumors regular

Death-T

Ah, the thing is the Augusta location is the closest store to Savannah. I'm from Augusta anyway but I'm going to college in Savannah where there's no Apple store, otherwise I would definitely take care of business here. Thanks for the info though.

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

No problem, and good luck.