rMBP Screen Flicker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Redskins10, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Redskins10 macrumors newbie

I have a base model retina MacBook Pro and every time I wake the computer from sleep, the screen flickers for a second before showing the login screen. Is this normal?

2. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

3. elpek macrumors newbie

I would say it is not normal. It may even be the result of a faulty GPU but it's not the only reason that could possibly cause the issue.

4. Redskins10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it happens everytime I wake the computer from sleep. Doesn't happen when I shutdown and then reboot.

5. golu14 macrumors regular

Similar thngs happen to me but for me its not on the os x but in safari in some websites, a specific collumn or part flickers,
    I heard others reporting it too. I guess my safari flikering will be resolved by software update but flickering within os s isnt normal IMO

6. specik macrumors 6502

specik

I can't speak specifically about the Retina MacBook Pro as I am still waiting for mine to ship but in other portable Macs, it is considered normal for the screen to flicker for a moment when waking from sleep. It tends to be the graphics chips kicking in and resuming normal system operations.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It sounds like what happens to my other macs and I consider it normal.

8. marddin macrumors 6502

Sorry to bump an old thread but I came across this thread while searching. I just received my retina macbook pro and upon returning from sleep state the screen flickers blue then goes to login screen as well.

Can anyone confirm if Mountain Lion fixes this issue? Or if its normal?

Thanks.
    Martin.

9. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I've had my rMBP for a month, just ran into this issue today. :s

10. marddin macrumors 6502

Is anyone else having this issue?

The easiest way to test is simply put your retina to sleep then wake back up and watch the screen flicker blue. I'm interested in seeing if this is widespread because I didn't find much after searching the forum.

11. zumajoe, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

zumajoe macrumors member

I am also noticing this. It's a quick blue flash before showing the login screen.

This is happening with a custom ordered rMBP fully-loaded:

(2.7 i7, 16 GB Ram) and I have upgraded to Mountain Lion via the App Store, and have also applied the first firmware update. My display is an LG, find yours here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1416687

The best way i've found to replicate the flicker:

1. Ensure you have enabled the login screen
    2. Put computer to sleep via the apple menu > sleep (or power button > sleep). I'm not noticing the issue by closing / opening the lid.
    3. Give it at least 1 minute (i'm not noticing the flicker if I do not give it the time.

12. deerfaced macrumors regular

Mine goes blue before it gets to login... just presumed it was normal.

Can't see why it would be bad?

13. JustineSophia macrumors newbie

This happened to me yesterday and today. My screen flickered for a while while playing guild wars 2 yesterday. And today it flickered while watching a video on youtube. Is this issue resolved yet? Should i have my laptop replaced? My 14-day return period is not due yet.

I have an LG screen.

14. CHMK macrumors regular

dont worry its perfectly natural. had this issue and after talking to an apple genius he said its natural / if u want u can do repair disk permissions in disk utility which fixes faulty gpu etc...