Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redskins10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I have a base model retina MacBook Pro and every time I wake the computer from sleep, the screen flickers for a second before showing the login screen. Is this normal?

elpek

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
I would say it is not normal. It may even be the result of a faulty GPU but it's not the only reason that could possibly cause the issue.

Redskins10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Well it happens everytime I wake the computer from sleep. Doesn't happen when I shutdown and then reboot.

golu14

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Delhi, India
I have a base model retina MacBook Pro and every time I wake the computer from sleep, the screen flickers for a second before showing the login screen. Is this normal?

Similar thngs happen to me but for me its not on the os x but in safari in some websites, a specific collumn or part flickers,
I heard others reporting it too. I guess my safari flikering will be resolved by software update but flickering within os s isnt normal IMO

specik

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
Brooklyn, NY

I can't speak specifically about the Retina MacBook Pro as I am still waiting for mine to ship but in other portable Macs, it is considered normal for the screen to flicker for a moment when waking from sleep. It tends to be the graphics chips kicking in and resuming normal system operations.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

It sounds like what happens to my other macs and I consider it normal.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Sorry to bump an old thread but I came across this thread while searching. I just received my retina macbook pro and upon returning from sleep state the screen flickers blue then goes to login screen as well.

Can anyone confirm if Mountain Lion fixes this issue? Or if its normal?

Thanks.
Martin.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I've had my rMBP for a month, just ran into this issue today. :s

Is anyone else having this issue?

The easiest way to test is simply put your retina to sleep then wake back up and watch the screen flicker blue. I'm interested in seeing if this is widespread because I didn't find much after searching the forum.

zumajoe

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
I am also noticing this. It's a quick blue flash before showing the login screen.

This is happening with a custom ordered rMBP fully-loaded:

(2.7 i7, 16 GB Ram) and I have upgraded to Mountain Lion via the App Store, and have also applied the first firmware update. My display is an LG, find yours here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1416687/

The best way i've found to replicate the flicker:

1. Ensure you have enabled the login screen
  2. Put computer to sleep via the apple menu > sleep (or power button > sleep). I'm not noticing the issue by closing / opening the lid.
  3. Give it at least 1 minute (i'm not noticing the flicker if I do not give it the time.

Last edited:

deerfaced

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Mine goes blue before it gets to login... just presumed it was normal.

Can't see why it would be bad?

JustineSophia

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
This happened to me yesterday and today. My screen flickered for a while while playing guild wars 2 yesterday. And today it flickered while watching a video on youtube. Is this issue resolved yet? Should i have my laptop replaced? My 14-day return period is not due yet.

I have an LG screen.

CHMK

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
dont worry its perfectly natural. had this issue and after talking to an apple genius he said its natural / if u want u can do repair disk permissions in disk utility which fixes faulty gpu etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.