rMBP screen flicker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Outkast27, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

Im beging to notice my mbpr screen flicker for a quick second. I didn't think anything of it, but it's happened 3 times in the past 2 days. It happens really quick, it seems to be horizontal lines on the screen flash and go away. Any thoughts of what is causing it ?

2. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. saytheenay macrumors member

Any time I see this kind of thing on my mbp (or the rmbp when I had one), I reset the SMC and zap the PRAM. That usually clears up any software-related graphical glitches.

If it continues happening, run the Apple Hardware Test (from the recovery partition or a usb stick with mountain lion) and/or take advantage of your AppleCare.

4. foolishfellow macrumors newbie

Hey Outkast. I actually just sent my macbookproret back to apple (with applecare) for this exact reason.

Numerous people on youtube are posting similar problems (my flickering happened less frequently).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljqBNR0l484

I also noticed (and I think this may be related) in safe mode that everything was really glitchy and slow to open. For instance when I opened launchpad everything opened really glitchy and looked like the blinds of a window when open.

Additionally I had some ghosting when visiting certain webpage. Particularly brightly colored web pages.

You should try running safe mode and see if you notice anything funky in there too. I'm thinking that something is screwed up with the logic board and display... kinda hoping that they just replace the machine.

5. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow thats scary. Mine is not that bad. It is less intense and does not do it often enough to be able to time it on camera.

----------

I have no clue what that means, can you explain please?

6. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

I have been having the same issue. I took my computer in and they were able to recreate the problem and have replaced my display. My laptop originally came with the LG display, now i have the samsung. I've had it back for 48 hours now and so far so good. I tried reinstalling the OS, resetting the smc and pram with no sucess.

7. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I too was having the flicker on my rMBP. I took it into the :apple: store and they replaced the LCD. I guess I may be lucky too because my original screen was the LG and this new one is the Samsung.

8. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

I had Flicker (among with heavy Image Retention) on white surfaces as well. Got the screen replaced with a Samsung panel.

All problems gone.

Bring it in to the Apple store.

9. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I'm having this issue. Seems to happen usually when I'm using skype, but has happened a couple other times. How long does it take them to replace the screen? Will my memory be erased? I can't go without this computer too long.

10. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

It took apple over a month to replace my defective ipad mini. There is no way I could spend anytime without my mbp, I need it. What could apple do if I take it to them? Im sure it will not flicker in front of them. Is there a test they can do ?